Bad attitude...... ugh

Discussion in 'Goats' started by allenslabs, Oct 20, 2006.

1. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

Well seems Bruiser doesn't have the best attitude when you try to take a girl away from him. Ugh! One of the does had gotten out and it was dark and I thought it was another doe that is supposed to be getting bred and turns out it wasn't. So I had to try to catch an untame goat in the dark with a buck rubbing all over her and he did NOT want me there. Nice. He did get his head into my knee when I wasn't paying attention. Stupid thing...... I was thinking it would be nice to see if I was allergic to goat meat at that point in time. :p

2. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

I have heard that most bucks are like that in RUT. Now I had a doe bred to someones buck and the owner was worried how to get my doe out without being taked down. I thought that was just her buck. Nope, I have heard of that going on a lot. I had a buck that would be the nicest guy around until you trued to get him away from his girls, then he was SSSOOOO mean, we had to carry a pitch fork with us, only then did he not try to get us. But do not turn your back, or you were on the ground it didn't help that his horn span was almost 3 feet from tip to tip. To say the least he is gone. I have a big boy now, that he doesn't care if you are taking a girl away or not. He just wants to be petted as you do it.
    Hope you are ok. I kept telling my daughter that I wanted to sell the meaner one, and if someone ever butchered him I wanted his head. Because it was do beautiful, she thought I was nasty. :shrug:

3. FarmGoddess

FarmGoddess Well-Known Member

My big buck must think he's some sort of 'player'. When he's done his duty, he heads for the gate and baaa's until I put him back in his pen. Then he takes a nap. Typical male.

4. allenslabs

Oh yeah FG he must think he's a true male. HAHA!!

Yeah Bruser is fine till you try to get between him and his harem. He has this very strange growl/roar I've not heard out of a buck before but he sure has it mastered. HAHA!!!

5. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Thank goodness mine are easy to handle, then!

Although, they ARE still quite young...what cracks me up is even after they have done the deed a few times, they still keep haunting the poor doe, who, at that point is ready to go back to her side of the fence. They can't really do anything more for a while, but they are reluctant to say goodbye.

6. mammawof3

mammawof3 Well-Known Member

I'm glad you didn't get hurt-seems to me, breeding season is about a month late this year. Last year i had a handfull born towards end of January-most in mid-late Feb.-and a handfull in March-Seems they have all been in the past 2 weeks-i thought i just wasn't seeing the breedings, :shrug: and figured most would be due in Feb. again.He has been in w/them long enough for that. My Nubian ,who i thought looked in heat in Aug.-hasn't been in-and seems to be looking bred-then one other that i expected to be kidding in Nov.-isn't bagging-but is bellied down-Frankely, i am quite ready for it too be over-he was so mellow last year-this year-NOT-He also has this GROWL thing down pat-(must be a Boer thing-don't remember my Nubian bucks doing it!) He paces the fence line-growling-at chore time--has rammed into me while attempting to get the feed poured out :flame: -have had to crack him over the head w/livestock stick! (I don't like having to do that)-that was AFTER he challenged the stick! He is also very aggresive w/does during feeding(new this year)-sometimes a firm-NO-will stop him, sometimes i have to "touch "him w/the stick! I want my friendly buck back! Please be careful! :rolleyes:

7. allenslabs

Yeah see Hal and Tom my saanen bucks are SOOOOOOOOOO different compared to Bruser. They love lovins and would never think of charging my authority whereas Bruser last night did the rear up to come down thing and I rammed him with a VERY heavy metal gate and he walked off. I can usually get his attention diverted with a good yell. Good thing. Big ole stinkin grizzly bear..........

8. KimM

KimM Student of goatology.

I told my buck that if he ever gets nasty with me, I'll introduce him to the business end of a cattle prod. So far, so good, but I don't turn my back on him 'cause there's always that first time. Darn goat is about 6'5" standing straight up, and still growing.

9. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Oh wow that's a big goat. Don't have any full size dairy/boer bucks. Used to my teeny miniature bucks.