Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
He is a cute potbelly but he is a bit of a problem Tom has taken to shooting at the pig with a rubber pellet gun to keep bacon out of his garden. Do any of you have trouble with people letting pets free range?

·
Registered
255 Posts
That reminds m of a friend who saw a "wild" pig in his pasture and shot it dead, only to find out that it was a loaner boar that the neighbor had let get out! We got a good laugh, while he had to face his neighbor. So yeah, there are perils to not properly confining your animals.

T

·
0 Posts
One of the neighbors to my dad's ranch always has cattle out. He's a pretty horrible and cruel person, though. The cattle have been seen literally miles away.

·
Registered
952 Posts
yyyyeeeeah...i've been working on my fences. Last spring I discovered my pigs were crossing over a creek to get to an island....whoops! guess water doesn't stop them! Built a fence. apperently a 75 degree slope doesn't stop pigs OR sheep...another fence to build. Luckily I'm secluded on 3 sides. For some reason, though, the animals like to escape TOWARDS the neighbors. I've got them under control right now, but my first year here (after my ex had me remove all the t-posts so we could build a fence and then he never did ARG!) was interesting for the neighors. luckily they are patient and enjoy occational visits from livestock :ashamed: except for the rooster. one of them hates the rooster, even though their 20 hens LOOOOOOOVE him. (and they visit my place)
last time i had two pigs escape one was waiting by the gate to go b ack in. the other got all skiddish and i ended up grabbing her by the hoof and dragging her back into the pen. 150 lbs of pig vs 110 lbs of lady. Amazingly I won

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
It's not a problem when they get out occasionally. You know, even two or three times. Fences break or animals jump them. It's to be expected.
But when they visit daily it does become an issue.
Except I kinda like the three wild bantam roos somebody dropped off at my house lol..they live wild in the woods. If they were mean I'd be mad though.

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
One of the neighbors to my dad's ranch always has cattle out. He's a pretty horrible and cruel person, though. The cattle have been seen literally miles away.
We had the same problem here in our valley when i first retired and moved back to my farm.

Now there is no problem.

My dogs took care of the problem and if they couldn't handle it i did.

T

·
0 Posts
We had the same problem here in our valley when i first retired and moved back to my farm.

Now there is no problem.

My dogs took care of the problem and if they couldn't handle it i did.
Well, the owner has almost been shot several times over how he treats the cattle and dogs on his place. He has also cut trees onto our fence so his cows could browse on our property for free. My dad has dogs, but they aren't farm dogs, since he just moved up there.

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
Well, the owner has almost been shot several times over how he treats the cattle and dogs on his place. He has also cut trees onto our fence so his cows could browse on our property for free. My dad has dogs, but they aren't farm dogs, since he just moved up there.
Cattle can be a real problem. I talkedto law enforcement . That was a laugh. Talked other state Ag. people etc. No one would help. Talked to my home town lawyer. He told me what to do. No problem since.

The long way and it will work is to take photos of the cattle and damage done and take him to court. That will work also. With a 10k damage filed in court he will take notice.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i like the pig but i have a good fence and a big dog that both keep him out of my garden. the people on the road that do not have a good garden fence do not like him at all

T

·
0 Posts
Cattle can be a real problem. I talkedto law enforcement . That was a laugh. Talked other state Ag. people etc. No one would help. Talked to my home town lawyer. He told me what to do. No problem since.

The long way and it will work is to take photos of the cattle and damage done and take him to court. That will work also. With a 10k damage filed in court he will take notice.
Yea, we've been dealing with him since my great-grandfather lived on the property. Just to give you an idea:

Cattle got loose thru a hole in the fence, so he fetched them back and forced them over the cattle guard. One cow broke her leg, so my ggf grabbed a gun. But his plan was to shoot the neighbor.

Speed up to present day. New neighbor feels sorry for bad neighbor, so he gives him one of his prized, trained, specially-bred cattle dogs. Bad neighbor ties it to his tailgate, forgets about it and rubs it over. New neighbor gives him another, he kills it in a week. I think the second one got killed by a mean bull when the dog got stuck in the knee-high muck.

Seriously, every time I call my dad, there is something new from this guy.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cattle got loose thru a hole in the fence, so he fetched them back and forced them over the cattle guard. One cow broke her leg, so my ggf grabbed a gun. But his plan was to shoot the neighbor.

Speed up to present day. New neighbor feels sorry for bad neighbor, so he gives him one of his prized, trained, specially-bred cattle dogs. Bad neighbor ties it to his tailgate, forgets about it and rubs it over. New neighbor gives him another, he kills it in a week. I think the second one got killed by a mean bull when the dog got stuck in the knee-high muck.

Seriously, every time I call my dad, there is something new from this guy.

wow just wow and i thought the guy here who set a mile of road on fire when he decided to put out the burning hay in the back of his truck by driving faster was a bad neighbor

T

·
0 Posts
wow just wow and i thought the guy here who set a mile of road on fire when he decided to put out the burning hay in the back of his truck by driving faster was a bad neighbor
That's pretty bad, too. At least it didn't spread super far.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
This kind of stuff annoys me to no end. To me it shows that the owner does not care about the welfare of their animal. How does the neighbor react when someone asks them to contain the pig? Seriously, if he were consistently in our garden, he'd be one dead pig. We spent large amount of money on fencing our animals so that they are safe and we can have a garden outside of the fence but I am sure not spending a ton of money on keeping someone else's animals out where they do not belong in the first place.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Many states, like California where I live are not open range. In other words it is the responsibility of the animal owner to contain his stock. A call to animal control ( if you have one) would take care of it.

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
Many states, like California where I live are not open range. In other words it is the responsibility of the animal owner to contain his stock. A call to animal control ( if you have one) would take care of it.
Missouri hasn't had open range in years. That changed that back in the 50's i think.
We have no animal control here in this county. You can take legal action here and go to court for damages. Long process. If you have a lawyer he can get things taken care of.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts