Bacon and Hogetta had their last meal...

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by mpillow, Dec 1, 2006.

1. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

:1pig: :1pig: going to market tomorrow...

My first pigs and maybe my last....I'm impressed with growth but the stench and the fear I have for them (not much but enough to be careful every time) just doesnt work for me.....my bull calf is a cake walk in comparison....

Lets hope the stinkers taste good!

With 1 day to go.....my pigs never got loose...knock on wood....and that was my greatest fear....pigs eating my garden or the neighbors garden!

2. goatmarm

goatmarm Well-Known Member

3. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

mine go this week to. :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

4. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Good Show there mpillow. To have raised them out with not one prison break is an accomplishment in itself!
    I think when you are enjoying the delicious flavor and quality of homegrown pork your frustrations with the species with soften somewhat.

I truly believe much of "The Stench" you mentioned can be minimized by moving hogs to clean areas periodically and avoiding the grain-heavy diets.

Enjoy the Porkchops !! :)

5. ~PrairieGirl~

~PrairieGirl~ Well-Known Member

So whatdid you keep them in that they didn't escape? We are looking to do a few pigs this spring and have a nice site all picked out but still don't know what we will use to contain them. Any tips are appriciated!

6. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

Ours go Monday. Shhhh, don't tell them. They're being very cooperative, moving to the new pasture, next to the loading area. I don't think they're on to us yet. shhhhhhh..

7. pyrnad

pyrnad Well-Known Member

I hpoe you get them loaded safely,and with no escapes. Good luck.

8. mpillow

They loaded up real good...the pig crate was the exact size as the barn door so no room to escape...plus my brother was here and he is good w/ critters....laid back easy going kind of guy....BIG HELP! and he's mucking out the barn for his half (and earning every bit of it w/ 3ft pack :help: )

I took them to Jason's in Albion....I take the broilers there...its close(6 miles) and they have a decent reputation. Pyrnad's butcher is cheaper I think and also good (I had a ham from her's)

They were stinky because they were closed into 2 goat stalls(fenced and boarded 5ft high) in the barn so they would root it up....one stall turned into a wallow/bathroom and the other was well rooted. We have no power at the barn so no electric fence to put the pigs out with.

9. pyrnad

pyrnad Well-Known Member

I was hoping for a funny "guess what happened when we loaded the pigs story".
    O well maybe when the cow goes in the spring.

10. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Yea, anytime hogs are locked in a small space it will get aromatic, especially in the warmer months. But Hey - it worked and now you'll have a full freezer!

Maybe next year you could throw it up to the Pig Forum to design a setup where you could have them outdoors and move them periodically. :1pig: :1pig: .......cheers.

11. mpillow

I'm still going to take runts/orphans from the pig breeder I bought from. Right after I bought these two, he had a sow die and offered me 4piglets day olds to raise on the goat milk but we already had the calf (from pyrnad) drinking all the milk.

So yeah I'll have to figure up something for outside or take them over to pyrnad after they are weaned......her nice neighbors can enjoy the aroma :1pig:

My husband wanted the pigs and I ended up with the work :nono: That wont happen again.