Backyard Nursery Business

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by ozarkyehti, Mar 7, 2004.

1. ozarkyehti

ozarkyehti Well-Known Member

I have just read an e-book about starting a home business with a backyard nursey.

I found out about it at http://www.freeplants.com/.

I found it real interesting and I have a lot of area (4 acre + ) that I could use for this venture.

I don't want to just jump in without doing a little homework and get some input.

Has anybody read this e-book, and do you believe that this venture could prove profitable?

Does anybody know what would be the best landscape plants, trees and shrubs and sell.

What are in high demand year after year? What type of plant do retail and wholesale nurseries sell out of quickly and need to restock to keep up with the demand? If I sell retail, what does the public desire for themselves?

I'm considering Japanesse Maples for one possible item.

I live in Missouri about 1 hour outside of St. Louis.

I understand that different parts of the country have diffrent possible demands, but I was just hoping to get an idea of what might be in demand.

Are there any nursery folks or landscape folks that might give me some advice?

Thanks in advance, all input will be appreciated.

2. Georgia Boy

Georgia Boy Member

Friend we are trying some of the same things right now. I went around the yard and took cuttings from the things I have growing that I bought for our yard. I know they sell good enugh for me to buy them. Also it will give me experence in the propagation, replanting etc. But keep in mind I haven't sold anything yet this is just my plan.
    Their is some real knowledge on this topic here on the board so lets sit back and enjoy the replys.

Georgia Boy

3. Hammer

Hammer Active Member

Hey Georgia Boy,
    I have been thinking along the same lines as you. I notice that I see Leyland Cypress every where. You can buy then for about .65 when they are a foot tall and at 4 feet tall they are 8.50, and at 10 foot tall 50.00. They grow really fast. It seems like a person could make a dollar or two growing these.

I am in Lumpkin County, where are you?

Hammer

4. PonderosaQ

PonderosaQ Well-Known Member Supporter

I've grown and sold a lot of different plants over the years. Best return I've found for the least work and sq' involved per plant are perennial flowers. Even the ones that spread like crazy and grow like weeds always sell. If you are in an area where there is any building going on builders love to get a good source of reasonably priced landscape plants of all types.

PQ

5. JJ Grandits

JJ Grandits Well-Known Member

Definately perennials are the quickest per sq. ft. per year. We've taken half our greenhouse space and put it into perennials instead of annuals. Some are sold retail but the most goes into our landscape pojects. I can grow between $28-$42 in perennials in the same space it takes to produce a flat of annuals for $10. As far as nursery stock goes I don't think anyone here could give good advice as to what to grow. What might be a "hot" plant in one town you couldn't give away in another. Research, research, research. It takes years to bring on nursery plants and without finding the right ones with a solid demand you could take a real whipping. Keep in mind that you may have a hard time getting landscapers interested. Many have sources with large growers where they know the quality and consistancy of what they are getting. Once established you'll do Ok, but you may have to almost give them away at first. Now the important part, can you make money..... Sure can baby! If you have your finger on the pulse of the industry you can do very well indeed.
    Be careful about taking cuttings from certan plants. Many of the most popular are under patents. If I spent years developing a plant and found you selling it without giving me my royalty, I would hit you so hard your great grandchildren would be living in a cardboard box under a bridge. That's business.
    Since spring is on us I would hit local nurseries and see what they have the most of in stock. If a cetain variety of plant is in large numbers at every place, that's your mover. Next I'd drive around residential neighborhoods looking for the same plant but several years more developed than nursery stock. That way you'll know it's used all the time.
    As I posted on a different question concerning about veggies, beware of the hot new item. Last year I was going to order the "gotta have it" plant to grow out before my conservative side kicked in. Later on in the season one of my suppliers offered me his entire stock for next to nothing because it wouldn't move. He probably still has them.

6. Georgia Boy

Georgia Boy Member

Hammer,
    We live in Barnesville if my geography is right were about 50 miles south of you. You are in norht Ga right? I guess we would say were in middle Ga.

I like the sound of those Lelands to. Do you get the farmers buliten? They are reasonably priced in their. I may buy me one just to get cuttings off of and see what I can do with em.

Don't get me wrong I'd love to make a few truck loads of money. But what the heck if it don't sell I'll plant it :)

ozarkyehti do you feel that e book was worth the $40? I have looked at that thing alot of times and been tempted to buy it. I just have never heard a review of it. The web page itself has alot of usefull info on it. Would you be so kind as to give us the low down on the book? Thanks

Georgia Boy

7. Hammer

Hammer Active Member

Hey Georga Boy,
    I have been to Barnesville. It is a nice little town with some real cool old buildings. I am about half way between Atlanta and Tenn. I read the market bulletine too.

8. SueD

SueD Well-Known Member

I read the book quite a while ago... Its pretty solid information.

I have a couple ideas that could save you a little time and heartache...

After the first one, it will cost you for plastic planters/pots, but, gives you more of a market base. I know these are covered somewhat in the book, but they can't be repeated often enough!

First - get with the state and county about the licensing before you do anything... If you sell on your property and have signs, they probably wouldn't do much other than get you for an inspection fee, but you never know.

Second - to see if you can't get some 'ready-made' customers, call a couple local nurseries, anonymously of course, and ask them what they would be willing to purchase from you, giving a couple possible ideas as to what you'd like to grow. I sell a LOT of my veggie plants that way - I don't do shrubs and trees on this tiny lot. If nothing else, go visit and see what they have the most of, what going rates are in your area, etc etc!!

Third - get a county or state listing of all the active farmer's markets. (state if you don't mind driving a little extra way) Its often easier to start this way than to throw up a few signs and wait for people to visit.

Fourth - offer stuff for sale off of sites like gardenweb, here (of COURSE!), and any others. Get your sales before you plant - makes planning a ton easier. I've also seriously been thinking about offering through ebay - as a service... Haven't gotten all the details down in my head yet, but thinking some sort of an order now and guaranteed delivery type thing.

Remember - every dime you spend is coming off those taxes at the end of the year, too....... Save gas receipts (and oil/oil change etc), keep a mileage record (they give you a choice, so always take the higher number!), document your time so you can take out income, etc etc etc. (Something else folks don't do is to keep track of your household expenses. You are running a business from your home... This means part of your phone, electric, gas, etc - and even depreciation on your house is also deductible!!!)

I found that the best way is to do farmer's markets - I can take the mileage off at 39 cents a mile, so if I need to offset income tax, I have that mileage - you wouldn't believe how far that goes!

Sue

9. Can anyone else tell us their thoughts on this e-book?
    My husband has been laid-off for 3 months ,all I can find is p/t work.
    He has filled out over 210 job apps. without a single call back.This morn. he told me that he is going to app. for an over the road truck driver job.
    With 3 kids ,I am really starting to worrie.
    Did the book help you any? Is it worth the money?Scam?

Thank you

Patti

10. Georgia Boy

Georgia Boy Member

Patti,
    I don't know what state your in but I work at Estes Express in Atlanta. We are hiring. I understand that all of Estes is having troubble finding good drivers so get him to one. They are local, line haul drivers, and dockworkers we don't have over the road spots. If your in Georgia Email me I can help. I'll be prayin for ya'll.

Georgia Boy

PS I'd like to here more on the ebook also.

11. tinki

tinki Guest

hi hammer, i want to buy some 1' leyland cypress, 65 cents sounds good, do you know if they are still available? if so can you tell me where to get them? also looking for emerald green if you know where i can get them at a similar price. i am in south augusta g.a.

regards tinki

12. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

My neighbor just built a 12 x 24 ft greenhouse. She is growing vegies to plant in her market garden and also to sell as started plants. We are building our greenhouse half her size and plan to do the same thing. Last year we did it on a small scale and also sold eggs. You don't get paid for your labor but you meet some nice folks and make a few dollars.

13. Don't know about GA, but here in Texas, it's the hardest thing to find native plants. And there's a huge market for them, people are becoming more educated about buying them, since they stand up to the heat and use less water than non-natives. The nursuries that do carry them are usually "specialty" and somewhat pricey.

Just a thought, if i were going to do it (and i'm considering) i would try to sell natives (wouldn't have to worry about a plant under contract that way- they've been there). Make sure you list what the plants attact- butterflies, hummers, etc.

14. CMATE

CMATE Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I bought this book & also bought the video sets (which I have yet to watch :no: ) anyways, when you purchase the video set you get access to the website chat room which is really terrific, a lot of people just like you, starting out, and there are a lot of people there who have tons of experience & willingly share it. When I finally get time to start this I have every intention of doing so, right now we can't live at our property :waa: , still have to commute on weekends!
    All info is VERY good & the people are friendly & helpful. It certainly is NOT a scam & I have recommended it to quite a number of people.
    GO AHEAD, DO IT! It really is simple & cheap....at the absolute worst I will have learnt how to propagate & landscape my 120 acres for free, so even if I never SELL 1 plant, I have made out like a bandit!! :haha:

15. CMATE

CMATE Well-Known Member

:) Go For It, Patti!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (see my response below!)

16. arnoldw

arnoldw Well-Known Member

Hi when you said you did this on a small scale, How much did you plant to sale and what did you grow. Ive been wanting to do the same thing for a few years. Wife finally gave in on trying it for next year. I have 7 acres that Ive rough cleared. I am going to place about 50 pigs on it until the spring. My neighboros are really going to like that. The land that Im finishing the clearing on is on a busy road that has a school on within a half a mile. It has 800 ft. of road frontage. I think it would be perfect for a U pick it strawberry and tomatoes Im not sure what else to place on it. I have sold veggies at the flea market before and did OK. I went and took down a 24X100 greenhouse that Ill put togeather late summer for next year. I live on the coast of NC and dont want to take the chance on putting plastic up until SEP or OCT for the hurricanes. Im sorry if Im going on and on I really would appreciate any Ideas you may hyave. Thanks Arnold.

17. Hank - Narita

We are planting all kinds of vegies(vegetables)as we barter with others for what doesn't sell. We are going to raise 4 pigs for butcher too and have chickens to dispose of excess. Last year at our roadside stand tomatoes, cukes, and okra were the big sellers. Also herbs did good. You have to find out what works for you. My DH got our ground ready and we both set up the drip irrigation system. Since we live in AZ the watering was a chore to keep things wet enough to survive. A friend had us plant roma tomatoes for him which sold good and some Italian type peppers which did not sell for us. Our neighbor sold bell peppers, another sold pumpkins and another sold hay. Most people brought what they had. It was a good session for us gals to get together and meet one another. This year I hope to swap recipes with one lady who makes all her own bread items. Narita

18. arnoldw

arnoldw Well-Known Member

Hi we spent 3 years in Ft. Huachuca AZ from 1994-97. My wife Petra really loved it there, Where are you located at in AZ. I traveled alot when we where there. I road in B Troop 4th Cavalry its a Horse Mounted momorial Unit.Thanks Arnold

19. Hank - Narita

We are about a hour east of the fort.