Backyard Meat Prices

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by JAS, Jan 23, 2005.

1. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

How many of you sell rabbit meat direct? I have someone asking and have a few questions:

1. Do you process the rabbits yourself? or use a locker?

2. What type of packaging do you use? I usually use freezer paper for our own.

3. How much do you charge. I only know of two other people in my area and one sells for $7 per rabbit and the other said $10 (I think that might be for breeding stock but was not sure). I read about $1.50 a pound live weight on another thread but want to hear from people who are actually doing this.

Anything else I should know about? Thanks.

2. rzrubek

rzrubek Flying Z

We don't sell any for human consumption as that is illegal here, not being a certified processor and all. But we have just started selling some to a couple of people that feed there dogs on BARF, (bones and raw food) at $1.25 a pound. Otherwise we sell as pets or process for ourselves.

3. CountryGoalie

CountryGoalie Well-Known Member

Consumable rabbits are consumed by... well... us. :D However, since my Harlequins don't mature as quickly as my Satins, and they are judged mainly on markings (and therefore I can tell pretty early-on who I'm going to cull), I sell my culls to a fellow with rather large snakes. It's been that he pre-kills them, but lately I've gotten into the habit of doing so, because it means less wasted feed if I know that they're going. Anyway. I get $.08 an ounce.

4. MimmyJ

MimmyJ Member

rzrubek, I was going to post a question regarding selling to the raw feed market, but I'll just tag on here :)

Is that $1.25 per pound for a whole rabbit? Or processed and packaged?

5. rzrubek

rzrubek Flying Z

That is whole. I just dispatch them and put them in a ziplock bag and freeze. I told them that if they wanted them skinned and gutted it would be $1.50 pound.
    [​IMG]

6. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

At $1.50 lb for a skinned, gutted rabbit you are losing money. :no:

It typically takes 4 lbs of feed for a 1 lb weight gain in a rabbit. Now lets say you are paying $8.00 a bag for your feed. This works out to .16 lb. Now multiple that by 20 [20 lbs is what you will use in feed to get a rabbit to 5 lb live weight ideally but it could be more depending on the rabbit] 20x.16=$3.20. Now this 5 lb rabbit once it is dressed out [skin, stomach and intestine removed] will dress out at 3 lbs. $1.50 lb x 3=$4.50.

Your profit on this rabbit is $1.20. Now factor in all the other expenses. How much feed are you using to maintain your breeding stock? What about electricity usage to maintain freezers, lighting in your barn, etc? How about those bags you are pacakging in? My bags cost me .05 each and these are 4 mil heavy bags and I buy in bulk.

I gaurantee you will be out of business soon if you dont look at your costs. Not trying to be harsh just stating the facts.

7. rzrubek

rzrubek Flying Z

You are absolutely correct Tracy. I havn't sold any skinned and gutted. What i have been doing is selling them culls that i didn't think were worth processing for our own use. We actually pay $11.05 for feed including taxes so its worse than you thought. I have one more year of school to finish and then we are moving out of this god forsaken desert to somewhere where things actually grow on their own!!!