Backyard firepit

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Sylvia, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Well-Known Member

Can anyone share some insights about how to build and maintain a small and simple backyard firepit? I live in an urban environment, zone 6 PA. Thanks

2. herefordman

herefordman Well-Known Member

Cheapest and easiest is a 45 gallon drum with the top cut off, and torch three or four one inch holes in the sides near the bottom for air intake, they work fine for something small, but you'll have to replace it every few years as they rust away fairly regularly.

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Steel truck tire rims make a good fire ring to contain the fire and ashes. A rod can be welded to one side on which a grate can be hung that will swivel in over the fire, or out as need be.

4. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

It sort of depends on what the fire pit is for. Be sure to check your zoning rules and fire season rules as well. My guess is that you won't be able to burn paper goods or even large brush without a permit. Is it just for small cooking fires?

5. Wilbur

Wilbur Well-Known Member

There was alot of rock on my site- nice flat ones so I built one about 5 feet across and deep with rock piled about 18" -24" high on three sides. It is great. Can't beat a nice fire outside for warmth and atmosphere. We use it year round. Of course I have to use cardboard boxes and whatnot to get the fire going. Keeps the trash down! :haha:

6. desdawg

desdawg Well-Known Member

If your local regulations won't allow for a wood burning firepit there are gas models available that will run off a propane BBQ bottle.

7. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

I built a horseshoe shaped one with just cement blocks on gravel by the pond. We use toilet paper tubes filled with dryer lint as fire starters. We keep an empty dog food bag in the kitchen for cartons, boxes, napkins, paper and other burnable trash. I toss weeds on top of the pit when doing yard work and empty the car trash there, too. Fallen limbs and pine cones migrate to the pit. About once a week we pull up lawn chairs and roast hot dogs and marshmellows, usually at night so we can enjoy a campfire, in case a neighbor complains about burning regulations.

8. stumpyacres

stumpyacres Well-Known Member

Herefordaman - YES - I love my burning barrel!!!!! You can just shoot holes in it with a gun and wamo - instant heat!

9. jodamax

jodamax Member

well i tell you how i make em, go to your local fleet farm and buy about 24-28 interlocking pavers the ones that are half round on one end and u shape on the other. lay them out in a circle the size you want, mark the ground and dig down in the ground about the depth of two bricks, pack it down and start laying your bricks on the second course start the row so it covers the seam in the middle. pack it in with sand and you got you a 3 foot fire pit thats flush with the ground and about 8 inches deep

10. Sylvia

Sylvia Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, sorry I didn't specify before but my intended use is for cooking. Thanks.

11. 4sarge

4sarge Well-Known Member

This is the method that I used for years. Works great and inexpensive

{Quote}Steel truck tire rims make a good fire ring to contain the fire and ashes. A rod can be welded to one side on which a grate can be hung that will swivel in over the fire, or out as need be.

12. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

I have a cement slab poured for the bottom. The circle is made of pink granite. The grill came from Home Depot.

13. Sylvia basically all you need is a steel fire ring. Unless you want to get fancy. But they make a steel fire ring that have rods up an over to hang such stuff as dutch oven on to cook over the coals. Check out Bass Pro shop catolog, Cabela's cat., Northern tools,. You could do a google search for info. I don't have a pit, I just build a fire on the ground out under the shade tree. Of coarse I live out here in the country.

14. wheeezil

wheeezil Well-Known Member

get a tub out of a washing machine they have a ceramic coating and put out heat nicely the holes help it burn well . Their light portable easy to make a tripod stand for mine bolts to the trailer hitch for travel no mess.

15. Sylvia

Sylvia Well-Known Member

Thanks to everyone who posted on my thread. It's great to have lots of ideas to mull over inthe months to come!
    Sylvia

16. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

contact a rock crusher company and ask for the nose cone that they replace periodically that wears out from crushing.... is about 30 inches across and about 200 pounds give or take both measurements...... it is concave and wont probably ever burn thru..... drill a couple holes in it for drainage from rains if they arent already there..... A couple of uprights can be added to the the side for hanging pots on, or in hibachi style you could get fancy and make it so you could put a grate at different levels......

throw some gravel around to keep the gras back for awhile and any spillage that might occur from the pit.

add a couple of benches, a few sticks for whittlin, and you have a gathering place for when you aint cooking too!

Its heavy and aint gonna tip over like the ones you pay $150 plus for with 3 legs....

William