Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am toying the idea to be able to manually pump water at the location where my jet pump is. Not sure where to start or what ill need but I would like to install a pitcher pump over my sump pit that is next to the jetpump in the basement. This would be ideal, the pump will be indoors, conveniently located, tying into clean potable water and won't freeze. I imagine ill need some kind of check valve or maybe some shut off valves so the system doesn't unprime? Feedback woukd be much appreciated on how this would be setup. An installation diagram would be ideal

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I have used a jet pump with a cistern, and I have used one with a well. I haven't ever used a jet pump in an application where a sump was involved, normally when the term sump is used, you aren't talking about potable water. So you will need to clarify your water source.

If you are on a cistern or storage tank, just run a standpipe from your hand pump into the tank, and put a foot valve on the bottom of the pipe, that will keep water in the pipe rather than draining back to the cistern.

If you are on a well, then you need a stand pipe to run into the well casing alongside the pipe for your jet pump. It will also need a foot valve. Your well casing may or may not be big enough to accommodate two pipes. The well casing should be sealed at the top, around both pipes, to prevent well contamination.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts