backsplash wallcovering ideas needed

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by nostalgia, Aug 12, 2004.

1. nostalgia

nostalgia Well-Known Member

We are finished painting the kitchen now. But I am stumped on what to do with the backsplash. I don't really want to use tile or any type of metal or tin. I would prefer something in a vinyl like material that is easy to apply, durable, and withstands water splashes since I use my kitchen sink for canning.

I do have an idea but not sure it would work. I picked out a vinyl floor (the vinyl squares) which we will be putting down soon. It has a marble look. I wonder if I could use these vinyl floor squares on the wall at the backsplash? They have the sticky glue on the back but I am thinking maybe we could use another type of adhesive like liquid nails to make sure it stays up there. What do you think, would it work? Any other ideas for covering a backsplash?

Thanks!

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

What was used in a house that I used to live in was the same thin Formica material that the countertops were made of.

3. havellostmywings

havellostmywings Well-Known Member

I saw a home show the other day where they used floor tiles for the back splash.. they didnt use vinyl, but they used the large tiles ... so I dont see why the vinyl wouldnt work.. I would just seal the edges well with cault and prolly use the best adhesive I could find, I wouldnt rely on the peel and stick adhesive

Lynn in Texas

4. Nette

Nette Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree about the Formica. That's what I have, and it has worked fine. Have also used that above our all-in-one tub in the bathroom, with no problems.

5. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Used to sell flooring for Home Depot. The vinyl tiles with the glue already on them are not designed to be used with additional glue. The additional glue may or may not stick to the glue already on the tile. Additionally the tiles are not meant for places that stay wet. I would use a piece of formica if I had to use a plastic type material. In my kitchen I chose to use ceramic tile over tile backerboard as I only wanted to do the job once.

6. nostalgia

nostalgia Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone. I thank tommarrow I will go back to Lowe's and see what is available. I will definitely check out the formica. I reckon' you all went and talked me out of my idea, well actually I chickened out. :eek: :haha:

7. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

We were in a bed and breakfast once (in Jefferson, Tx) that had lined the SHOWER with a lineoleum that looked like big tiles!! I forget the glue they said they used (because we DID ask!!:) but it looked real until you touched it!

So go shop at the floor covering stores.. you'll have a blast at the selection. OH.. and That B&B has a website..

OKAY>> HERE IT IS.. The room is the one w/THE shower in question!!:)

Personally, I think I would not use the squares.. too many 'cracks'. But my hubby would probably be madly in love with the idea!! :):) Says it less trouble than to install than cutting sheet vinyl for the bathroom floors!

8. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Greetings from Montana! I currently have a temporary counter top made from cheap vinyl floor tiles on top of half inch plywood. Has been there two years and is working out okay. I will be getting real counters very soon and will be going with formica type stuff. I had actually thought about using mirror tiles as a backsplash, put them up with liquid nail type stuff for mirror. A gal I know made her own backsplash by ripping masonite and then priming and painting and collaging (sp) it with photo type thin prints from her garden photos. She said she put three coats of clear poly on it and it turned out really nice. Just one of many ideas since i dont want metal either unless I could have real copper which I cant afford LOL.