Backhoe questions

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by InHisName, Dec 6, 2006.

1. InHisName

InHisName Well-Known Member Supporter

We've been looking for a backhoe- found one for $11,000- can someone tell me if that is a fair price? It is a Case 680 G diesel- What kind of questions do we ask the owner? We are getting it to work on our 8 acres and new house- not for everyday use. Thanks!

2. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

A google search suggests that is a fair price, depending on the age. Check out this link for some auction prices (note many are from 2005 so a couple of years old).

Why are you getting such a huge machine for occasional use on 8 acres? Why not a tractor with a backhoe attachment?

3. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

Are you sure its a 680? the 580 is a very popular model. Id ask how many hours are on the engine. Has the engine ever been rebuilt? Has the hydrolic pump ever been rebuilt? Does he has oil change, and repair records? Look the hoe and loader over. look for welded repairs. look for rotten hoses. Look for leaks. look for bent steel. Look at the tires. look for cuts and cracks. Ask him to run it, or let you run it. Does it start hard? Does it smoke exessively? Does it shift smoothly? Does the shuttle work? Does the hoe dig , and seem to have lots of strength? Does the loader dig and lift with plenty of strength?

4. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

ten starts cold ten starts hot run everything thru the full rang of motion then pick a load at full extention and agin run thru everything there shouldnt be any oil driping anywhere

5. spam4einstein

spam4einstein Well-Known Member

I cant tell you if its a good deal. But good working older backhoes can be found often in the 5-8k range. I dont think you need more than a decent older hoe for around your place. Plus an older hoe will not depreciate a bit over time.

6. Boleyz

Boleyz Prognosticator, Artist

Around here, there are lots of places to rent a back-hoe. I'd rather rent one for a week at $1500 or so, than to buy one at $11,000.

On 8 acres, I imagine I could get every ditch and hole dug that I'd ever need within a week...

Another thing, if it breaks down, it's theirs...not yours. They have to repair it, unless you've abused it...read the fine print on the rental agrement...

7. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

what are you going to do with it
    you can get someone to dig septic foundation and water lines cheaper then that

8. InHisName

thanks for the info- we have lots of work- water lines for garden, frost free pumps, driveway work, septic lines- moving rocks around- etc. (new homesite, we did the bare essentials to get in here) hubby loves working on one. Rocky soil, lots of shale, so it has to be tough. The guy said 680 was the model. Maybe we could rent it out to pay for itself.

9. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

LOL thats what I thought! Now if a guy had a rental place next door and could rent it an hour or so 5 times a month.........
    Besides if they buy this one right (offer about $2500 less and see what happens) they can use it for ages without loseing a dime in value.
    DONT RENT IT OUT! costs a ton in insurance and fixing things!

10. TnAndy

TnAndy Well-Known Member Supporter

DONT RENT IT OUT! costs a ton in insurance and fixing things!

In case you missed that.....

11. Country Doc

Country Doc Well-Known Member

I might add if you know little about these things , consider paying a pro that does it for a living $100 to come with you and look at it.

12. InHisName

Good idea Country Doc- Guess if we rented it out, hubby would be the operator. We have no place to rent one, and it is 3 hours to major city. Seems like if you buy one, use it for a year, if you take care of it, you could sell it and still be ahead. (providing the price is right)