back surgery, anyone go through it?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by okiemom, May 14, 2006.

1. okiemom

okiemom Well-Known Member

I am looking at my options on the back care. I have a disk that is squished (buldging) and is pressing on the sppinal collum giving me nerve pain down my leg and in my hip. Currently I am better than a few weeks ago but still am having to be slowed way down by this.

I have talked to a friend who had a disk removal w/ fusion and she said it was very painful but is much better than before. She recomended not to wait as recovery would be harder due to more extensive surgery. Sort of makes sense but I don't want this to be the start of a series of back surgeries. Dr. Said that was possible that future surgeries were not uncommon but not garunteed.

I am to get a cortisone shot to see if it helps. I do hope so as I really don't want surgery. But I do want more info so if I do have to have an operation I will be knowledgable. Currently I have trouble standing/walking for long periods and I have sharp pains in my ankle and hip from the nerves. I can no longer lift anything over 20 lbs. I feel like I should be Batter as I am only 30. I also have 2 small children. I am not sure how I would care for them if I had to be down for weeks/months at a time.

Anyone go through a back surgery?

Was it worth it?

Could you do thing after you couldn't do before?

How long did it take to recover?

Would you do it again?

2. FourDeuce

FourDeuce Five of Seven Supporter

I had a similar problem back in 1992. Got operated on for it then. It was DEFINITELY worth it.
    Yes, I could do several things after that I couldn't do before, like stand up straight, and walk with much less pain.
    I was up and walking within hours of the surgery. I do have sciatica pain in my leg for the rest of my life because I waited too long before I had the surgery. All the time I was waiting, the damaged disk was rubbing on my spinal cord, which caused scarring.
    Yep, I'd do it again, but I wouldn't wait so long before getting the problem checked out when it first happened.

3. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Been there done that, I have 8 discs that are Herniated ,I had Surgury on One. and it helped butI still hurt ,It might be from driving O T R though. All the bouncing. I think. Now I need A Bi-lateral SI injections, But the cost is $4,300.00 Think long and hard about A change to your routine..

4. Chas in Me

Chas in Me Well-Known Member

I woke up one morning as a parapelegic. You bet back surgery was worth it. That's where you can end up by not taking care of the problem before it worsens.
    So, get it taken care of. Sure you might have more surgery, but that's probably because you are prone to back problems. That was my second and who knows, I may go again.
    Good luck,
    Chas

5. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

My husband was in constant pain until he finally gave in and had back surgery two years ago. The incision was tiny...not even two inches long and he recovered faster than he expected to (overnight stay at hospital and he walked out). He is no longer in pain and wouldn't hesitate to do it again if necessary.

My Daddy had back surgery twice and did very well.

I had a ruptured disc in my neck operated on back in January. I was having constant pain and losing the function of my right arm. I couldn't do anything which is why I had the surgery. Went through shots and therapy first and nothing helped. Had to have a fusion done and it was very painful and frustrating (was in a neck brace forever it seemed). Then I developed an inflamed nerve on that side and, I must admit, I've never experienced pain like that! Now that everything is healed I am very glad I had the surgery. I am regaining the use of my arm and my strength on that side has come back almost completely. No pain or numbness any more either!

Definitely try all options before surgery (shots/therapy/etc.) but don't hesitate to have the surgery if everything else fails.

6. fixer1958

fixer1958 None of the Above

I had it done 18 years ago when I was 27 and it was the best thing I ever did. I'm as good or better than I ever was as far as lifting and everyday chores, you just need to change how you do things lifting wise. They have alot of non-evasive procedures now and the recovery time is much quicker. Mine was 2 months and back to a heavy lifting job. I have aches and pains but I think it is old age kicking in. I'd do it again if needed.

One trick I have after say cutting a few cords of firewood is to walk a 1/2-1 mile or so to loosen up. It makes a world of difference the next day.

7. BeeFree

BeeFree Well-Known Member Supporter

Check out http://www.spineonline.com
    My daughter had a ruptured,herniated and a bulging disc. She found this site and instead of letting local doctors cut her open and do the fusion and such, she checked into this. She was able to send her MRI's that she alread had done and they checked them out and told her she was a canidate for their surgery.
    They got her set up for a surgery date and we flew to Los Angeles, CA. We arrived on a Monday and they done test and such until Thursday morning and she went in and they did a 3 hr surgery on her. They said she was the first patient that took 3 hrs and they removed the most from her, 9cm. They go in with a light and work through your natural wholes in your spine.
    We flew back to St Louis on Friday. Stayed the night and Dh came after us on Sat and we made the 3and a half hour drive home. That was in the 3rd of March. She went back to work in April. They told her she could go the next week. She chose not to.
    She still has some pain occasionally. Sometimes she gets hurt some and it gets inflamed in there again. Her pain is nothing like it was. Before the surgery she was taking pain pills and wearing 3 pain patches a day just to keep going. She takes no more than 2 pain pills a day now when the pain comes back, and it is nothing like it was before.