Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well new to this website and forum, but have been in and around rabbits for years. I look forward to learning more from all of you as I check this place out. Though I've been around rabbits, I have much to learn (for my wanting). I'll give you my background as I basically was thrown into the rabbits at a young age. My dad's much younger half-sister & half-brother showed rabbits in 4-H so when my first year of mini 4-H came around I was showing. I only did the 4-H fair where as my aunt & uncle did some open shows. Our main breed was Dutch, but we had many others including California, New Zealand varieties, FL Whites, and Silver Martens to name a few. My older cousins showed for a short while until their parental custody went wacky. My younger brother then began to show as well. In all of those years, we never won Best of Show at our Fair though we came very close. So after my brother we had been out of it for 3 to 4 years. My aunt that showed lost her husband in February of 2019 and so she & my cousins moved back home here from Florida. Meanwhile I was married in 2018 and have 3 step-kids as well as 2 together now. My step-kids could have done mini for a couple years, but we didn't push it with the sports and having to deal with their so called father (I refer to him as sperm donor as he's not much of a father but I digress). My cousins didn't move back in time for 4-H in 2019 plus all the grief and moving stress as well. So this year 2020 we joined together and decided to get back in the game. Turns out my area of NE/EC Indiana & NW/WC Ohio didn't have as many Dutch breeders as before. Luckily we found a couple as we bought 4 from the Ohio breeder and my cousins bought one Dutch, 2 mini satins, and 2 mini rexes from the Indiana breeder. I knew what to look for markings wise on Dutch, but that was about it. So fast forward to July 22, 2020 and the fair. Our mini showers didn't get to show (my step son and my cousin's youngest daughter), but our regular 4-H did. Coming back with a vengeance would be the best way to describe it. All of our Dutch won their classes with some competition. So my cousin P and my two twin step daughters went for Best of Breed Dutch. My younger twin step daughter took Best of Breed and my older twin step daughter took Best Opposite. My cousin D won his classes for mini rexes. He ended up getting Best Opposite. My cousin P won her classes of mini satins and took Best of Breed & Best Opposite. Get to Best of Show and my younger twin step daughter won Best of Show. What was awesome was that my uncle and grandpa got to the show just in time to see that being announced. Not trying to brag, but after 4 10+ year members and other few year members our family finally joined the other big rabbit families in winning it all. We were the Andretti's outside of Mario at Indy. We finally got our Mario! With that being said, I would like to get into meat pens and single fryer classes as well as possibly doe & litters. Would also like to get into raising an Angora or 2 for their fur characteristics. Curious as to what advice I could learn from meat, fur, and showing.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts