Back Home Again Magazine Article !!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Helena, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

Just finished reading through the May/June issue of Back Home Again Magazine. I really enjoy this magazine and it gives the feeling of the old MENS. In fact, I believe they are still publishing in the old MENS building in NC Actually stopped buy a couple of years back to say "HI" to them when I was there. Well..they have an article on a young family.. the Gonsalves from Maine and building their straw bale house etc. It was so very nice to hear about a young familygetting "back to the land" and doing with their life what they choose and not what the world makes us do. Their ambition and youth I certainly envy. After homesteading ourselves for 25 years I think back to when we began and my heart aches for those times...but realize we have come a long way too. I wish this family the very best and wrote to the magazine and asked them to keep up updated on their progress. Has anyone else read this issue..??

2. rosehaven

rosehaven Well-Known Member

I can't locate this online. Do they have a website?

THanks for the help.

blessings,
    april

3. bluetick

bluetick Well-Known Member

4. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

Yes. I've been following the do-it-yourself windmill series.

5. Madame

Madame Well-Known Member Supporter

I read the article on the young family. I remember reading they had no closets. Lord, how do you LIVE without closets????!!!

It's an excellent magazine, one of the 4 I subscribe to.

6. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

Older homes built in the early part of the 1900's seldom had closets and when they did, they were few and small

7. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Is "Back home again" a different mag than "back home"?

8. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

I think probably you are thinking they are the same magazine..Our old farm house only had 1 closet when we bought it. Now we have 4. You just learn to live with less "stuff" or put all your extras into the attic. It does drive me nuts at times..but if that is all I need to worry about guess I'm pretty lucky. We actually have friends that have one small chest of drawers. This holds his and hers clothing. No closets either...a few hooks on the wall. Now..that is really living with less. Great people been homesteading for years and know what it is really all about.

9. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

My MIL in Essex used armoirs as her house had no closets. I plan to do the same for our studio apartment.