Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went Tues. to Niagara Falls, back Thurs. night. Anyone who says that the Canadian side is nicer is making a HUGE understatement. The NY side is positively seedy. I guess it's nicer if you've got a big budget and stay in one of the fancy waterfront hotels. But we didn't. We ended up at the Econolodge farther away, rode the free bus down to the waterfront and walked across Rainbow Bridge into Canada. Then we rode buses over there all day. It was lovely. Rode the Maid of the Mist, did the Journey behind the falls, did some shopping. Then mom Pooped Out.

I was sick Monday before we left. We'd gone camping all weekend, and boy it was HOT. Miserable. Our ancient popup has no a/c like our friends' camper, but we were too proud to say "uh, can we hang out in your camper all day?" :) Monday I started feeling awful, terribly achy. I thought it was just aches from being active all weekend, riding bikes, in the heat, swimming, etc. I got sunburned too, just on my chest over my swimsuit where evidently I forgot to put lotion. Yuck.

Desperate not to ruin our trip, I begged my mom to share a couple of her prednisone pills because I knew they'd get rid of the body aches. It worked, but by Wed. when we went sight seeing out in the sun all day it was clear that the aches were only part of my problem. I had the flu or something. Around 5 pm I could take no more and we hiked back over the bridge (incidentally, no birth certificate required either time, just drivers' licenses, and hardly a word about the kids). OMG it took forever to get back to the motel; we had to wait about an hour for the next bus. Why buses? Parking cost $12! I'd have paid it gladly, but it would've been no biggie at all if I hadn't been sick.

I felt so guilty. They wanted to stay and do more. They wanted to go back out later and see the falls at night all lit up. But I got back and crashed and could go no more. DH and the kids went to the pool for a while and we ordered in pizza, then left the next morning. I feel like I ruined their trip.

Thurs. I felt even worse and slept most of the way home. Fri. no better. Absolute thumping headache, fever of 102. This morning DH and my son went to a scout thing and I went with DD to the urgent care office in search of antibiotics.

But at the urgent care they found that my blood pressure was way high, 185/130 or something like that, gave me something to bring it down, and when that didn't work, made me go to the ER, which is where I spent most of the day on an IV with BP meds and antibiotics and fluids for (of course) dehydration. (sigh) Such fun. I have pneumonia. Whee!

I still feel like crap, but I guess I'm on the mend. It's so hard to be sick. DH isn't taking it well. He didn't want to spend his vacation taking care of me. :Bawling:

·
Country Girl
4,306 Posts
Don't feel guilty - you couldn't help it!!! Be glad that you got to the ER when you did. I got the old classic "everything hurts - even my hair" flu once when I was in my early 30's. Three days later I was in the hospital fighting for my life because I had gotten pnuemonia from it also. Took me a full YEAR to recover and almost 6 mo. before my lung xrays were clear. My ex never cared about anyone but himself either. Twice when I had emergencies that ended up requiring surgery - he wouldn't even take me to the hospital! I had to drive MYSELF!!! (and we lived in the next town from the hospital) After our divorce, he had a heart attack - you would have thought the sky had fallen...he is STILL talking about it 2 years later!!! Of course, HE was the sick one THEN....

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Tell DH to get over it. How selfish! How would he feel if he was that sick? Or how would he feel if he were to lose you for whatever reason. Men! They can be so selfish!

Hope you feel much better soon.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
edayna said:
I still feel like crap, but I guess I'm on the mend. It's so hard to be sick. DH isn't taking it well. He didn't want to spend his vacation taking care of me. :Bawling:
Tell him we don't always get what we want. You didn't want pneumonia, either. Hope you're better soon.

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Wind in Her Hair said:
sorry for your troubles but...prednisone? Are you kidding me? Thats not a med for body pain (while it may have had some effect on it) but surely you're aware that its a drug that lowers your immunity AND it makes you suseptible to secondary infections...you may have actually done yourself far more harm than good. Cortico steroids like prednisone cause edema, water retention AND hypertension (high blood pressure) and sodium retention -lucky you didn't have a stroke, heart attack or worse.

Please let this be a warning to others - KNOW what medications are for and what their contraindications are before you go "bumming" a prescription med from some one else. Its prescribed for someone else's diagnosed/determined problem -not yours - heck -you didn't even know what yours was! If you don't know the risks, call a pharamcy and ask. Yikes. Be careful.
You go girl :)

Marlene

·
Registered
31,752 Posts
Wind in Her Hair said:
sorry for your troubles but...prednisone? Are you kidding me? Thats not a med for body pain (while it may have had some effect on it) but surely you're aware that its a drug that lowers your immunity AND it makes you suseptible to secondary infections...you may have actually done yourself far more harm than good. Cortico steroids like prednisone cause edema, water retention AND hypertension (high blood pressure) and sodium retention -lucky you didn't have a stroke, heart attack or worse.

Please let this be a warning to others - KNOW what medications are for and what their contraindications are before you go "bumming" a prescription med from some one else. Its prescribed for someone else's diagnosed/determined problem -not yours - heck -you didn't even know what yours was! If you don't know the risks, call a pharamcy and ask. Yikes. Be careful.
Double yikes! Hope you are better now.

Patty

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's what the doctor gave me a few years ago when I had body aches from what he called "some kind of virus." I only took a couple of them.

I guess it was stupid, but I've been doing a lot of stupid things lately and it would've done everyone a lot of good if I had managed to kill myself by accident that way. Too bad it didn't work. They could really use the life insurance settlement.

·
Accidental Farmer
14,837 Posts
edayna said:
That's what the doctor gave me a few years ago when I had body aches from what he called "some kind of virus." I only took a couple of them.

I guess it was stupid, but I've been doing a lot of stupid things lately and it would've done everyone a lot of good if I had managed to kill myself by accident that way. Too bad it didn't work. They could really use the life insurance settlement.

Thats an aweful thing to say, they need a loving mother more then a settlement! You are feeling down because youa re sick, are dissapointed to, but getting sick isn't your fualt, it's life. there will be plenty of more vacations to have fun on, the most important thing right now is to rest, get healthy again and get back on your feet. Tell dh if he were in your shoes, he'd probebly would of turned into a big baby the first day he was feeling bad :rolleyes: . Hugs to you, get lots of rest, drink your water and feel better!

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
edayna said:

Aww don't be so hard on yourself, wasn't your fault you got sick, you being alive and around for your kids is much more important then any amount of money.. your sick they should feel bad and nurse you back to health, like i'm sure you do for them when they are sick!!

As for your blood pressure, it could of been from the medicine you took, but it could of been just because you were sick, the patients we see at the office some have normal b/ps but then when they are sick it's usually higher then normal..

Hope you feel better soon! And I hope your family kicks in and helps you feel better!!

·
Premium Member
4,283 Posts
Edayna, please go back to the doctor. Show him what you wrote here, he will know why you are back even if you don't realise it yet - you are depressed. Because you are depressed you put up with guilt trips and selfish behaviour from people who are supposed to love and support you. I am sure if you seek out help and receive it you will see that alot of your posts on here have the same root cause. Look after yourself.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Don't you HATE getting sick on vacation!! There should be some kind of exemption from sickness during these times...although sometimes vacations are stressful in themselves and I think that tends to lower our resistance and then next thing you know your sick.

Relax and try to get better! Sounds like you had a nice time for at least part of the time.. I really need to get my family up there....we live 2 hours away and haven't been there in probably 20 years!

·
Enjoying Polish Rabbits
1,219 Posts
I second what Mistletoad said. Yes, depression is a disease on its own, but it can also be a symptom of other things. Depression is linked with Fibromyalgia among other things (body aches??). Tell your doctor. One might not have anything to do with the other, but they could just as easily be closely linked as well.

Also, I sympathize - until the last couple of years my hubby had never had a headache (unless it was a hangover!). He had no understanding, and therefore very little patience with someone who was sick. As we age, things are changing. Long story short - after a few medical issues of his own he is now MUCH more understanding.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Don't let the guilt get to you. Your family will totally understand. Just get better! :)

I ruined our Grand Canyon trip, but that's another story.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Edayna, tell your DH to be a big boy about things. Yes, it's too bad the vacation didn't turn out the way anyone wanted to, but he ought to be more concerned for your health than a vacation, any day of the year! But maybe he worries about you and shows it by being grumpy. :)

Hope you get over this quick--it's no fun being sick in the summer (as if there's a better time).

Jennifer

1 - 16 of 16 Posts