Back folds, pig falls down

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by 1Travelingon, May 16, 2005.

1. 1Travelingon

1Travelingon Well-Known Member

If it's not one thing, its another...
    Our smallest pig will walk/run, but then it's back will fold, it will fall down and pull itself back up. I read on another site that this could possibly be sunburn but I am concerned that it is something else since all four of our pigs are not doing it and I don't think they have been overexposed to the sun.
    :bash: Suggestions?

2. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

Our middle sized weiner was doing that exact same thing yesterday and today not once. I would really be concerned if the weiner stops eating and seems letharic. I am not an expert on pigs so maybe someone who is will have other experience.

3. 1Travelingon

Is it possible that your pigs are sunburned? Just curious since that is the only possibility I've read of so far.

4. Mr. Dot

Mr. Dot Well-Known Member

Howdy
    Your question discounts sunburn at the git go and if it's not sb I don't have suggestions - but - I experienced a brief episode like this that I believe was sunburn. These were temp controlled, barn birthed and raised white piglets that moved to a sunny yard here with lots of new, interesting rooting options and they spent their first days going at it. In my case the symptoms disappeared quickly and that was that. Hope it works out that way for you too.

5. 1Travelingon

I think now that it may have been sunburn; it was overcast when it wasn't raining, they have shelter but that doesn't mean they will use it, and since I have posted I have not seen the pig do it at all today (only yesterday).
    I also changed pens recently and this one has two huge pine trees in it, supplying extra shade.
    I've never raised pigs before so I watch them like I would a baby, and wonder what is happening as soon as something new takes place.
    Thanks for the input and info.

6. BFFhiredman

BFFhiredman Well-Known Member

Andreozzi:

We had a similar problem a couple of years ago. It happened later in the summer. All of the pigs (6) suffered from the problem. We finally determined that it was a toxic reaction to pigweed. The toxins in the pigweed cause the pigs to loose muscular control of their back quarters. They fall down and get back right up. They eat normally and all bodily functions are fine, they just fall down every so often. We moved them to another paddock without the pigweed and they straightened up in a few days.

BFFhiredman

7. 1Travelingon

That is very interesting; We we're giving the pigs different flowers that had lost their value from a local store thinking that we were careful to weed out any that may be toxic. I think we will just skip those all together for now on, they really enjoyed them but they get everything they need already.
    Thank you everybody for your input.

8. pekin84

pekin84 Member

We had 1 pig out of 6 doing this a year ago. It was this same time of year. Pig was about 4 months old and it looked like a neurological problme to mer. They had no access to strange plants. It was a white pig. I could find no other explanation other than sunburn. It went away quickly and all the piggies were fine.

9. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

It sounds like sunburn to me too. It will fry that fat on their backs like just fat in a pan. It will make them lame too. You can use stuff like aloe or solarcaine to help ease the pain.