Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here practice babywearing? I have been reading alot on the benefits of it for infants,preemies in particular. Does anyone have any easy patterns for infant slings or wraps? I have tried buying conventional baby carriers, but they just don't fit as I'd like them to. I'd love to be able to "wear" baby Gavin around the house/farm, & keep him close as I get things done. I have run across a few websites w/ alot of neat pictures of the different styles,but just don't know where to begin. Any advice along these lines would be appriciated!

·
Registered
423 Posts
OHHHHH! My passion! Go here.
http://www.thebabywearer.com/
Here you can find patterns, design specifics, advocacy, support. I love the forum. I am a bit addicted. But that does not have to happen to you. :rolleyes:
You will get more than you can handle. LOL Enjoy.
My personal fav are woven wraps but when I need a change I use a Mia Tye, or MY for short.
Don't feel intimidated. Some of these things sell for tons of money. You CAN find a good carrier for a good price. For a young one though I would HIGHLY recomend a wrap. They are truly phenomenal!

EDITED TO ADD:
If all you want is to try a pouch sling I have one for sale. I can go pretty cheep on it and it has never been worn. It will be OK for when he is young but it is a bit hard to get real busy with things in front of you. (one more reason I love a wrap.)

·
Registered
334 Posts
I wore my babe until he was about 12lb. Between him and the extra milk my back couldn't take it! Now that he's old enough to sit up I may start wearing him on my hip, though!
I went to www.wearyourbaby.com and found a style of wrap that I like. Then I went to Wal-mart and bought 5 yards of t-shirt material (no hemming=super fast!) in a color I liked, wrapped, knotted, stuck baby in, and away we went!
I loved it and he did too, especially on cold days :)
I use the front cross carry BTW. I really like it!

Oh yeah, and if you go to www.mothering.com/discussions there's a baby wearing forum. Some of those ladies are pretty hard core :)

·
Premium Member
4,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
blue8ewe said:
OHHHHH! My passion! Go here.
http://www.thebabywearer.com/
Here you can find patterns, design specifics, advocacy, support. I love the forum. I am a bit addicted. But that does not have to happen to you. :rolleyes:
You will get more than you can handle. LOL Enjoy.
My personal fav are woven wraps but when I need a change I use a Mia Tye, or MY for short.
Don't feel intimidated. Some of these things sell for tons of money. You CAN find a good carrier for a good price. For a young one though I would HIGHLY recomend a wrap. They are truly phenomenal!

EDITED TO ADD:
If all you want is to try a pouch sling I have one for sale. I can go pretty cheep on it and it has never been worn. It will be OK for when he is young but it is a bit hard to get real busy with things in front of you. (one more reason I love a wrap.)
*YAY*
I was hoping to find a mentor in the Babywearing area! :p
I did find that website... but there are SO many different kinds/styles, not sure where to begin. Gavin was a preemie, 5 weeks early, but was 7'4 last week. I need something that goes UNDER my chest, and is cool and functional... thanks for all the help in this area!!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Go here: http://www.mothering.com/discussions/forumdisplay.php?f=245
It's a heavily-used forum for babywearing, with lots of mamas and lots of babywearing experience.

I L.O.V.E. to wear my 4-month-old DD. She's 12 lbs now. I use a wrap, which is 5 yards long by 22 inches or so wide. I just bought fabric and made one (I used my serger but I'm sure you can do what a pp said and just use unfinished jersey knit.) It is a little daunting to get 5 yards of fabric tied around yourself, but TOTALLY worth it. I like it better than using a manufactured carrier like a baby bjorn because my DD is right up next to my body, instead of there being part of the carrier between us. It makes her feel like she is more secure. If you want to buy one, search online for "Moby Wrap", which is a popular brand. And even though my baby is five pounds heavier now than she was when she was born, she doesn't feel any heavier when she is in the wrap; I can (and have) worn her for hours, and I'm a petite girl not even five feet tall. We even took her on a 6-mile, 2000 foot elevation climb hike in it!

ETA: If you're going to make your own, I suggest making one at least six yards long because mine just barely long enough for me, and too small for my average-sized DH. Had I known, I would have made mine 6 yards.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Wonderful sites. For a small baby I liked my ring sling. I carried Charity upright and tummy to tummy. You can wrap them so that they are completely supported. I also like using it with them on your hip. If you want to try a more contemporary type you could try the Ergo carrier http://www.ergobabycarrier.com/. You would need the infant insert with it.

Here's a site that shows you the different carries. http://www.peppermint.com/baby-wearing-instructions.html

I also like to wear the podegi. I have made one but my SIL (who is Korean) says that my straps need to be twice as long. :) Oh well. I will make one much longer next time.

You will have a blast! I didn't do it with my first 3 children and Charity is so much more of a happy and confident child because of it. It also helps eliminate trying to chase after a toddler. You just snatch them up and keep them hostage.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
My oldest daughter (who was my first worn baby) is an avid babywearer. On the thebabywearer.com, the little girl in the 6th picture along the top of the page is my 5 year old granddaughter wearing her youngest sister.

A good wrap makes carrying so comfortable.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I swear by my Maya Wrap. I've even held onto it after my kids are too old for it, for those just in case I have a friend that may be in need of it.

Here are sewing instructions:
http://www.mayawrap.com/n_sewsling.php

·
Registered
640 Posts
I am going to show my support by saying - I was a supporter of babywearing, and completely agree with it, but it just didn't work for me. My boys both hated it!!

·
Premium Member
7,230 Posts
I just bought rather than made them, but both girls did everything with me in them except lean over pots of boiling water/open fires. I'd walk two dogs a leash in each hand whilst breastfeeding in one- hands free, get all the housework that needs to be done (except some cooking).

I had to adjust and adjust until happy and would need a refresher (tried to explain it all when I gave the last one away this past year) session to do it again. Didn't try more than the one type aside from plain cloth slings I didn't feel as secure with.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I carried my first daughter in a sling and it worked well. She was happy and I got a lot done. However my next two babies were 10 pound boys and it broke my back to try and carry them in a sling that much. It depends on the baby. I bought my sling from a Dr. Sears web-site.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Babywearing is a wonderful experience! I've tried padded ring slings, unpadded ring slings, (non-stretchy) wraps, and a mei tai with 2 of my 3 children. (I only knew about the padded ring sling at first and that just didn't work for me.) My personal favorites are the unpadded ring sling and the mei tai, here's why:
The padded ring sling just wouldn't sit right. The padding got in the way. With the unpadded ring sling, it fit right around the baby, which was comforting to them. The wrap was neat and I did like that one, but it's a VERY long piece of fabric and it took me a bit longer to secure my little one with it and took up more room in a bag when I went out. Perhaps I didn't practice long enough with it, but by the time I was trying that one, I had already used a mei tai, and I liked that one a lot. I have heard about people using mei tais with newborns, but I didn't feel comfortable with that for me, personally. So, I used the ring sling when they were very little, and then went on to use the mei tai. The mei tai is also sometimes called the asian baby carrier or ABC. It's benefits are that it distributes the weight over both shoulders and your hips/waist. Even a little one gets pretty heavy when you are wearing them for long periods of time in a ring sling since it pulls on only 1 shoulder. The mei tai can also be used in both front and back carrying positions, and even then, there are different methods to choose from. I carried my older son in the mei tai until he was 2, and only stopped because I was pregnant with #3 and HUGE and just couldn't any more. :)

All that said I liked the maya wrap (unpadded ring sling) that I tried (though that wasn't the brand I used, I just borrowed it for a while.) I sewed my wrap and my mei tai. I didn't use patterns, just made it up. There are instructions on how to make you own here:
http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/index.html
I also make mei tais from old jeans that are quite cute.

hth,
Amanda

·
Registered
362 Posts
I've used the Maya Wrap, a padded sling and large yardage of fabric to make / tie my own. Love the Maya Wrap & Fabric, did not care for the padded sling. I almost didn't babywear at all because of the padded sling. My 4 almost 5 year old still loves to go in the sling when he needs cuddling. Its so convenient, saves your back and arm and that connection cannot be beat. I also have a water sling for showers or the pool.

There are some things you still cannot do while wearing a baby on the front. Cooking obviously. There are some animals I would not deal with. But it is still very freeing. I also like the Maya Wrap in that it can be used as a "leash" (I hate that term but it is definitive). When we went to Six Flags with our 3 year old, he really wanted to walk but sometimes hands came apart, I had another bit of security. And then when he got too tired we put him the sling, or dad did as I was already wearing the baby.

That is something to keep in mind too, will dad ever wear the baby? You might want to keep that in mind when ordering a sling with sizing.

Have fun!

·
Registered
362 Posts
I've used the Maya Wrap, a padded sling and large yardage of fabric to make / tie my own. Love the Maya Wrap & Fabric, did not care for the padded sling. I almost didn't babywear at all because of the padded sling. My 4 almost 5 year old still loves to go in the sling when he needs cuddling. Its so convenient, saves your back and arm and that connection cannot be beat. I also have a water sling for showers or the pool.

There are some things you still cannot do while wearing a baby on the front. Cooking obviously. There are some animals I would not deal with. But it is still very freeing. I also like the Maya Wrap in that it can be used as a "leash" (I hate that term but it is definitive). When we went to Six Flags with our 3 year old, he really wanted to walk but sometimes hands came apart, I had another bit of security. And then when he got too tired we put him the sling, or dad did as I was already wearing the baby.

That is something to keep in mind too, will dad ever wear the baby? You might want to keep that in mind when ordering a sling with sizing.

Have fun!

·
Registered
713 Posts
I didn't really know about babywearing when I had my kids. I guess there was a natural part of me thatknew they should be close. I had a friend that says I actually got her into babywearing b/c she envied how much I held my son. She still teases me about how once he was about 15 months, she wondered if he was attached! I just slung him on my hip w/ one arm and could do most anything.

But, I didn't know about slings then (well not these kind, and the Walmart things were junk to me...I preffered carrying!). I did do alot of checking into them last summer when I was pregnant (I miscarried) and had decided on the Ergo. I have friends that really like their homemade ones, and now that I am sewing better, I would probably go that route if I had another.

I am so glad to hear of so many people doing this...I have always felt is was better to have your child close to you rather than stuck in a plastic contraption!

Good luck, Rachael

·
Premium Member
4,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the help... a friend near here saw my Freecycle post and she has a Nojo sling for us! My MIL and a friend are looking into making a sling or wrap... I am not sure about the one-shoulder ones,maybe something that more evenly distributes the weight? He is only about 7'7 now,but is growing so fast! Oh and yes Daddy will be wearing baby too.... thanks for mentioning that Nomad -- I am sure he won't feel comfortable in some of the styles I've been looking at! I sure wish I had a sewing machine,some of these are so pretty!! Didn't find much in the way of fabrics at the local Wal Mart,tho'... may have to take a trip to Hobby Lobby or something!

·
Registered
423 Posts
One more for a fantastic wrap.
After about 12 pounds they realy get heavy. pull on the shoulders, hurt the back.
A good woven wrap does away with all that. It distributes the pain so perfectly that you (I ) wear for hours. I did not believe all the hype. Then I mother offered me one for like half retail so I jumped. Now I have a "stash". And we will wear all our babies. In fact we wear our infant and 3 year old in them and its just as nice.
I know the baby wearer is extensive. It is wonderful though. Go into one of the specific wrap boards and just start asking questions. That's the best place to start. You get lots of mothers differant experiences for why. Then you can better pick your own. A wrap can hold DC under breast, at breast for nursing, at eye level, on the back, on the hip. They are so versatile. Many even wrap baby on front and older sibling on back.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I would totally go with a wrap, it's just a long piece of fabric, so all you'd have to do is stitch the edges so it wouldn't fray; I went ahead & bought one of these, but I think they show you how to make them here too (as well as showing you how to tie them): http://www.gypsymama.com/ I have a Moby wrap too, but it's too hot for summer - Gypsymamma makes cotton gauze & I think, Solarveil ones. So glad to hear that your LO is doing well - I'm still waiting!

·
Premium Member
5,492 Posts
I used a Hug-A-Bub wrap with my daughter - she loved it and it sure made life easier for both of us. When she was 14 weeks old we went on a cruise to Alaska - no stroller needed! Carried her until she was about 6 months old. Then she got to heavy for my bad back. The wrap over both shoulders was the only one my chiropractor would approve.

My son hated the wrap, hated the sling, hated the baby bjorn.... but loved to be carried. He would go stiff as a board the minute I would put him in and scream until I took him out. He definatley marches to the beat of his own drum. :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts