Baby's getting Killed

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Tadpole, May 8, 2006.

1. Tadpole

Tadpole Tadpole

What would make a mother kill her babys after she has them? This is the 2nd time. She eates there legs and heads off. :flame:

2. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Is this just her second litter? Is she on a good commercial pelleted feed? Is there anything that could be stressing her out? Predators getting in? (Someone on here thought their doe was eating her babies only to discover that a weasel was the dirty culprit.) Is the nestbox being put into her cage a few days before she delivers so that she can get used to it?

Environmental factors aside, mothering instinct is often a hereditary factor...so if nothing else is wrong, you may have ended up with a doe that's just a bad mother. :( Happens to all of us, I'm afraid.

3. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

4. midkiffsjoy

midkiffsjoy Bedias, Texas

Then theres always the rabbit that just needs to be culled. I had a doe once that had lots of room, got good feed, plenty of clean water, and she just always did it. I wasnt up to bottle feeding all her kits, and didnt have another to foster ALL her kits on so she was culled.

Good Luck.

5. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

I would give a couple of kibbles of Hairball control cat food and it stopped. Think they needed more protien.

6. scribbage

scribbage Member

I have a kit - original size 9 - now = 6. Sunday morning found a baby (eyes still closed) no legs. All babies were in nest box.

Thought maybe a raccoon might be around - so setup a live trap - no luck.

Somebody told me that this means the mother needs a salt block. I supply a good amount of commercial feed from Tractor Supply. And hay too.

7. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

Bad genetics, period. Yeah, maybe you can fix it by messing around with diet, etc... but do you really want a doe that will pass on those nutritional weaknesses to her babies, if you can get her to raise a litter? I always fed commercial rabbit pellets, fresh from the feedmill, and those feeds have EXACTLY what they need nutritionally. In my experience, she's just simply a bad doe. I also had ones that would just do that to the ears, and guess what, when I kept the babies, they did it too, to their litters. I would just give her another chance, if you want, or just outright cull her.

8. dixonsrabbitry

dixonsrabbitry Well-Known Member

Sounds like its time to butcher her. Or re-home her strictly as a pet.

9. animalfarmer

animalfarmer Well-Known Member

This having been her second try,I too would hang her up.If she has just recently had her babies she should be fat and in good flesh and will probably dress out well.Slaughtering and dressing out this doe will be the best way to minimize your loss.Best of luck.