Babys died?? Maybe froze?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by GoldenWood Farm, Nov 20, 2004.

1. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

Hi,
    Well my mom's baby rabbits died last night..it did get into the freezing range...The babys where large and healthy with tummys full of milk. They where fine yesterday. Was it that they froze to death? They where in our shed their momma (these where born only like 4-5 days ago) and they seemed plenty warm. What are some of the ways that you guys in really cold climates deal with freezing temps? I mean it was only in the very low 30's but still.....I live in Oregon so it doesn't get into the negetives here but still....

MotherClucker

2. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

Somehow... that doesn't seem right. With them being in a shed and all?

3. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

What type of bedding were you using in the nest box?

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/

4. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

Straw bedding...they had plenty of momma fur around them to keep them cozy. In our shop the floor is cement..dunno if that had to do with anything. It seems strange to me also. I think that my mom is going to from now on have mommas and their babys down in our basement...since it rarely gets below the 50's down there. The babys where nice and healthy like I said and they where getting their hair on them and everything. Going along just great.

MotherClucker

5. kell

kell Well-Known Member

You said you lived in Oregon? I live in Oregon and I'm trying to find a NZ breeder. Is that what you breed? Maybe I can buy one from one of your litters if you'll sell it. I'm looking for a doe or two for meat.
    KEL

6. kell

kell Well-Known Member

I live in Springfield. I think the breeder in Beaty is closer, would you send me her Email address, thanks. And thanks for your help, I could hardly find anyone and when I did they gave me one with snuffles! :no: As long as I don't get another like that, I'll be fine.
    KEL
    PS you don't have any space left in your Private message thingy for me to send you anything so I just posted it like this.

7. rzrubek

rzrubek Flying Z

Sorry for your loss, hope the next litter goes better. I think moving Mama and kits to the basement is a good idea.

8. dugan

dugan Well-Known Member

my rabbits kindle okay at 10 to 20 degrees in wood nest box with no losses At 5 days they would have some fur. when it gets colder a good doe will pull more fur for them.sounds like a first litter doe or some other reason for her loss.