Baby Wearing--makes a great gift!

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Wildwood Flower, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Wildwood Flower

Wildwood Flower Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK

I live in Oregon part time, and Oklahoma part time
    I've recently gotten into "baby mode" with my daughter soon to be a new Mom--and me a Granny. I happened upon the baby wearing website. It's amazing what these Mommas are making and selling to pack their babies in. I got one for my son-in-law for Christmas and one for my nephew and his wife (new parents).

Anyway, just wanted to share. Do any of you guys "wear" your babies in slings or pouches? We used to do it way back in the 70's --I made my first one out of a vintage tablecloth--tied like a stork.

Of course it's been done in more primitive societies for centuries--remember Sacajawea?

Now it's getting to be very chic...with many of the movie stars picking it up--Angelina Jolie, no less! It's even being done by lots of new Daddies, which is fun to see.

If nothing else, just check out the photos of the lovely babies on this site.

http://www.thebabywearer.com/

2. Mama McJack

Mama McJack happy homekeeper

Congratulations on the new grandbaby! I use a sling with my baby, quite often at home and all the time when we go out. I like the closeness, and can carry the baby with me when I do almost all of my tasks. I made my first sling from a pattern I found in a magazine, and the one I have now was given to me by a friend that said the sling hurt her back. I have never had any problems using the sling as a carrier and highly recommend it to anyone who prefers to keep their baby close!
    Mama McJack

3. Fujiko

Fujiko Well-Known Member

I plan to babywear when my first is due in late March/early April. (It's a girl!!!) I plan on using a wrap, which is a long piece of fabric, kind of like an Indian sari, that you can do different wraps with. That way I can reuse the fabric if I need too. Here's another website:
    www.wearyourbaby.org

4. olehippy

olehippy Well-Known Member

Well mine aren't babies anymore (10 & 9 yo now) but dh and I did babywear when they were little. We had three different types a sling, a backpack and a snugli that you wore on your front like a backpack.

olehippy

5. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I made a sling for a baby shower last month. DD, expecting her second came over just before I wrapped it, so I had her try it on. She loved it and I'm making her one for Christmas! Her DH has no problem wearing one (so I'm not using a baby or real feminine fabric).