Baby suprise

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Croenan, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Croenan

Croenan Well-Known Member

So I went out to feed the goats this am and lo and behold I think I have a mama not only pregnant, but in labor! We weren't even sure if she was pregnant, just really fat, but now her udder is getting big and her ligaments are very loose. After watching her she even seems to be pawing at the hay in her barn and her belly is kind of contracting, like heavy breathing, and she is making faces at us. She's also acting weird and the other goats are leaving her alone.

This is when we calculated out a due date, so she should be right on schedule, and I've done lots of reading in the past so I think I can handle it, and it's her second (my first!). If the baby presents properly, then we should have no real problems. Any other advice for a newbie grandma? Any advice on doing a version, (or whatever it's called in goat terms) if the baby is backwards or nose first? At this point I would call a vet because I don't know if I could get the right pieces in the right spots, but advice might be helpful in case time is short. How long does it take to have a baby in general? There's no bag or mucus or water yet, so I know it's still early.

I am soooo excited!!!
    Corrie Ann

2. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

put on a pot of coffee, it could be a while. you will deffently be able to tell the pushing contractions, that is for sure, they are a really hard contraction, and the whole bellie ripples, and she will really strain and push, just like a woman does, if you hace had childrem you will know what I am talking about, but if yo uhaven't you still wont miss it, and the first stage can take a while, a few hours, but when they get to the second stage, and are bareing down and pushing, and grunting, heavy labor, you will know, and you will see streaming, and a bubble or water breaking, and this should not go on for more than a half an hour, if you don't see any thing after this time, then you will have to check her. and don't worry, if you have read up on it, you will be fine, My first time I copied all of it off the net, read it, took it out to the barn , just in case , but it din't take long, and I have them all. nothing to it. so just relax, and you will do fine. I promise, and 95 percent of the goats, deliver just fine all by them selves, with no help. dip the little cords in iodine, and feed them the colustrum. and you have it.
    have some coffee, or some tea, and relax, I think all sounds like it is normal so far.

3. Croenan

Croenan Well-Known Member

Well, I was thinking at first it may be a couple of days, before she birthed but I think it's gonna be today or tonight! She has a slight white discharge (kinda like when they are in heat) but her vulva is getting swollen and protruding...no other obvious signs of labor so it's still early!

I am sooooo excited!

Corrie Ann

4. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

I will bet it will be this afternoon. :)
    Have fun but don't panic and help her if it is not needed.
    She will do just fine and so will you. :)