baby shots

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Caprice Acres, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

i found a IM cd/t shot for my goats (finnally!) and i need to know if 16 ga x 1/2" needle is appropriate for 9 week olds.
    also, how should i restrain them for the shot? the others i tie their faces into the fence, but this is not appropriate for the babies. when they were little i used to face them toward me and lift thier back legs off the ground with one hand, then stab with the other, but i have a feeling that they will give alot more of a fuss now.

2. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Since my husband welded my milkstand...... with the headstall all the way closed it will hold my kids from 8 weeks on. Younger than this I face them toward me, clamp their heads between my calves, bend over and give their shots. I use 22 guage and 20 guage 1 inch for almost everything. Some like there needles shorter. It's up to you and where you give you shots, with longer needles just don't seat the needle to the skin. Vicki

3. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Glad you are back Vicki.

4. tiergarten-CO

tiergarten-CO Well-Known Member

16ga on a kid seems a bit to big

5. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

well thats pretty much all i have right now, so i guess ill have to work with it.... i decided to use the 1" and just not put it all the way in.