baby rabbits - yikes!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Sara Perry, May 20, 2004.

1. Sara Perry

Sara Perry New Member

Help! It's a long story - or a short one maybe; friend with rabbits in yard, trapped mommy and daddy and seven babies, we were going to take two babies but friends were leaving on trip so I took three babies and momma that was left so she wouldn't have to worry about them.

We've had them less than a week and this morning I went out and there was hair all over the cage and after investigating realized that there are SEVEN NEW BABIES!!!! I had to get into cage to get half grown babies out so they would stop standing on them. Is momma going to take care of babies after I have handled them - she is a very quiet unagressive momma but she doesn't seem to be taking care of them. I have her in a covered cage in the garage where it is quiet and dark. Do I need to put a nesting box in there at this point? I put a old towel on the wire and put her hair on top and the babies in the hair. I'm not sure how much to interfere. HELP! I'm feeding fresh alfalfa, water, salt with minerals and pellets. Is there something else she needs?

Sara

2. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

I handle my new born kits all the time. I have handled others that have kindled with the owners on vacation. So far I haven't had any mother reject the kits. Remember that the doe only feeds her kits 1 time a day and only for about 5 minutes. You can tell if she is feeding if the kits tummies are round and full.

The kits would be much bettern in a box and not on the wire. If you have a box, even cardboard ..big enough for the doe to get into and have a little space that is big enough... you don't want her to make herself at home in there..only to feed the kits.

Be sure to gather up all the fur to help keep them warm and bury them in it.

Do not be surprised if you lose one or two, somethimes it happens. Pet the doe, give her all the food she wants to eat while nursing. Handle the kits and take out any dead kits.

Sounds like this doe is a keeper!

3. Sara Perry

Sara Perry New Member

Thanks for the info. I'm clueless about rabbits. I did put a box in and everyone seems ok - I'm happy to know that mom only needs to feed once a day because it seemed like she wasn't in there much. I'll let you know what happens. You're a lifesaver! (Maybe literally)

Sara