Baby Questions

Discussion in 'Goats' started by missbecky, May 4, 2005.

1. missbecky

missbecky Active Member

April 29 @ 5:30 pm my doe ( April ) gave birth to 2 healthy baby bucks.
    They are sooooo cute. I wish I knew how to put pictures on here .
    My question is when is the best time to casterate them.
    We have one buck that we were going to band but i waited too
    long. Now he's a father. ( We are currently looking for a new home for him)
    I don't want a million babies running around. Do I go to the vet or can we do this ourselves.
    Any help or wisdom passed along would greatly be appreciated.
    Thanks
    ~ Becky :)

2. Ksar

Ksar Member

Hi Becky
    Best to wait till both of their lil "packages" drop into the sac. So you get them both. They would probably be dropped by 8 weeks, not real sure on that, since I dont bother to band mine, they are sold before they can do any breeding.
    Sure someone else can shed more light on the subject for you.

Ksar

3. dragonfly65

dragonfly65 Well-Known Member

I'm not an expert, but we took our little buck to the vet when he was a week old and had him budded, castrated (not banded) and given his shots. It was only a few dollars and worth it since they are good vets and I don't have to worry about messing something up myself. There was just a little blood, but he yelled more when they gave him the shot then when they castrated him.

4. tduerson

tduerson Well-Known Member

Im not an expert either, but I do have one thing to say. If you take him to a vet make sure the vet knows what he is donig. Ask lots of questions. Ask how many Goats has he banded before and what was the out come. I just posted on here asking for advice on what to do now. I took mine at 9 weeks old and the vet put a band on him that was to big, it was for a calf. If you would send me you email I would send you pics of what I am dealing with and maybe it will help you not end up in the mess I am in right now. I have to warn you though the pics are pretty nasty.

Tina

5. missbecky

missbecky Active Member

thanks so much for your suggestions.
    My vet specializes in goats so I do like him.
    He's expensive though.
    I guess i will call him and get his advise also.
    Becky

6. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

We banded our first kid last year at three weeks and it went just fine (our vet later saw the job and said it was well done), but from what I have since read about urinary calculi in boys, I will wait until more like 8 weeks for the future. We have five bucklings this year who'll need the job done. :no:

It's definitely worth our while to do it ourselves - just make sure both testicles have descended, carefully place the band (not too close to the belly so there won't be a hole that could get infected) and release. Baa! goes the goat...and then he wanders on off happily enough. Not too traumatic.