Baby questions, help please

Discussion in 'Goats' started by DayBird, Mar 30, 2006.

1. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Julia, the Nubian doe , delivered two precious little doelings about five hours ago. They're really tiny. They're almost two weeks early. They weigh almost a pound a half each. Julia doesn't really seem to want anything to do with them. My wife made me go get some milk replacer. I'm hoping that the momma will take care of them.

We've not seen them nursing. Julia steps over them every time they come up to her. She did clean them up very well though. Would she do that if she wasn't going to feed them. My wife is in the barn now trying to get them to nurse from a bottle. I told her to try that and leave them with Julia overnight to see what happens. Should we go ahead and bring them inside?

2. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

Two weeks early isn't good. Are they sucking at all? I think goats that early usually have no sucking reflex and will probably need to be tube fed for quite some time.

Also, I would not give them milk replacer at all. Milk out mom and give them her milk. If they need more then that, which they shouldn't for awhile, use another goat's milk or whole cows milk from the grocery store. Especially with such tiny preemies, milk replacer is a very bad idea.

Make sure they get colostrum from their mom for at least the first 24 hours.

3. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

Babies born that early should get a shot of dexamethazone to help develop their lungs. Your vet should be able to give you a syringe with the proper dosage for them. I would keep them in the house and feed them their mother's colostrum. You will probably have to tube them at first. The doe should provide enough milk for them. Milk her out twice a day and feed the kids with that milk. Good luck.

4. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I concur---no milk replacer!!!

Milk mom out if you can, to give the babies colostrum. Keep them WARM. Maybe a little nutridrench for instant energy. Use either goat's milk or whole cow's milk from the store. I hope you save them.

5. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

How are they now? Did you get to the vet yet? Are they sucking? Did they get colostrum? Where are you located - is it warm enough outside for them (I'm in Iowa with 40* temps and little ones that tiny would be in the house for a minimum of two weeks or more! My 6 and 7 pound babies never come in...)?

Sarah

6. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Milk the mother, they NEED her colostrum, NOT milk replacer!! I would bring them inside and put them inside a box with a fluffy towel under them and set the box near a heat source(not too close). They will have trouble keeping their body temp at that small and premie. They will probably need tubed, as they may not suck. If you can hold them, rub them to stimulate them like mama would. If you leave them with her and they don't eat(which they probably won't as premie as they are), they will die very soon. Let us know how they are doin, please! Good luck,

7. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

I couldn't post again last night. I was already in bed when Donna came in from the barn. I had to work a double today so haven't posted yet.

When Donna went out last night, to try to bottle feed the babies, they were nursing their mom. She was taking really good care of them and cleaning their backsides. Donna sat out with them for almost two hours last night. They had a heat lamp during the night and today it got up to the high 70s.

The vet came out today while I was at work and gave them a shot of something. I wasn't here and Donna doesn't remember the name of it. They're still with thier mom tonight and seem to be doing ok.

8. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

If she is feeding them thats GREAT!!! Just keep a close eye on them and make sure their little tummies stay full. Great to hear they are doing well. :happy:

9. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Glad to hear that the babies are now accepted by, and sucking on, their mama. Good Luck with them, we need pic if you have them, please? ARe you keeping either of them? Good Luck with them. Bye.

10. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

They're both doing great. They are both girls so they'll both be staying here. One is dark chocolate like her momma and the other is a much lighter brown like her Aunt Suzanne. They both have a white starburst on their forheads. I'll get pictures soon.

11. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Wonderful news!

I love happy endings!

Post pictures soon!