Baby Question

Discussion in 'Goats' started by animal_kingdom, May 24, 2005.

1. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

I have quite a few goats for quite a number of years. I have a Nubian and the rest are boer or boer crosses.

I'm aquiring a baby girl Nubian in a couple of months after she is weaned.

Question is this: Do I feed her the same as all the other goats? I do this now with the Nanny Nubian except when she is in milk, we make exceptions and differences in feeding her.

I just want to be sure I do this right. The original Nubian we have was bought as a Nanny and I never had a doeling Nubian before.

I imagine I have nothing to worry for but just want to be positive!

Thanks!

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

If you are planning to milk her....feed her up on the stand. Give her all she'll eat in about 7minutes twice a day. Up to about 1 pound a day. Feeding any goat hay before grain will absorb more of the grains nutrition...the hay slows things down.

My doelings are eating 1/2 c grain a day at 5 weeks old and also nursing mom. They get hay also and they are really growing well despite the yucky Spring weather!!!

Bucklings should not be given as much grain.

3. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

Yes we will be milking her eventually.

I think I get the feeding on the milkstand deal...is it because that way she'll easily get on the stand and milking is a pleasurable experience if you do it this way?

Makes sense to me.

Thanks for your advice! Sometimes the simplest of things turn out to be the greatest blessings.