Baby Pygmy

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Jena, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

My pygmy had kids yesterday and caught me totally by surprise. One froze the other was not in good shape, but is doing better. I kept him in the house last night because it took so long to get him warmed up, I didn't think he could maintain his temp.

So...how much does a little pygmy kid eat at a time? I've been feeding him every time he whines and will accept the bottle. He doesn't take much, but I figured as weak as he was, it was better to give him bits at a time. It's been a looooong night and I would like to get him down to a few feedings a day.

Will I be able to get him back outside with mom anytime soon? He's getting around, but not "bouncy". I am afraid a re-chilling will do him in. How do I know when he's ready to go back out? I do plan to take him for momma visitation for short periods so they stay connected to each other.

I really don't want a bottle baby, but I end up with something every year. Last year it was pigs <sigh>

Thanks
    Jena

2. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

The first day I bottle feed mine about every 3-4 hours as much as they will take. Day 2 I stretch it out to every 6 hours. I do not feed through the night. I give a late bottle around midnight & again about 7:00 a.m. There really is no need to wake yourself in the middle of the night to give them one. If in a dark barn, it would be highly unlikely that the doe would feed them much through the night when they are bedded down. By day 4, they are down to 2 bottles a day. I have bottle fed Pygmies & Nubians this way for years & have never had one starve. Quite the opposite. By waiting longer, they are vigorous eaters because they are hungrier.

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

A really good way to warm a chilled newborn is to put them into a warm 102 degree sink full of water. Adding warm water so the temp stays constant, keeping their head above the water. Keep adding new water until his mouth is no longer cold. Let the water out and add towels into the sink until he is perfectly dry, using a blow dryer. Now take more barn towels and put them into your dryer, heat them up and set him in the dryer (with it off) in the warm towels while you go warm up his colostrum. Do not tube or feed a kid until you have their body temp up.

Are you milking the mom and feeding the kid the colostrum? With a warm belly full of colostrum or milk put a sweatshirt sleeve on him for added warmth and let him stay with mom during the days. Goats can take brisk and cold, they can't take blowing cold without shelter, or of course wet. The kids die when born because they are not dried fast enough, but once dry they are fine in the cold. Course it's a whole 50 degrees here today :) And that's cold for noon in my area! Shoot may be a record breaker.....Na, but close. Vicki

4. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I keep mine in the house when they are born for the first week or so, but then we just had a blizzard. so I will have two. I have 3 due any time now. and I feed, four times a day, for fist week. the first night the last bottle is around 2am. then I feed again in the morning.