Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
14,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There is a baby mockingbird perched in the Azalea bush right outside my window. It doesn't appear it is able to fly. Every few minutes, mom (or dad) shows up with something to eat.

A male and a female cardinal came over to check out the baby. Mom watched from a distance, so I don't know if the cardinals were just curious or if they intended to harm the baby. Eventually, they flew over to the elderberry bush and mom gave them a good talking to.

I'm a little concerned as we are supposed to get thunderstorms starting anytime now and the baby doesn't have any shelter. I'm assuming the baby left the nest and the azalea was as far as it could fly. Maybe it just needs to eat a little more and will gain the strength to fly.

I think there is another nest in the fig tree in the backyard because every time I walk by it, one of the mockingbirds starts chirping at me from the other side of the tree.

Every so often, mom will fly to the azalea, but not feed the baby. I wonder if this is her way of encouraging the baby to follow her back to cover. Best picture I could get through the window and screen.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
14,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went out to get the mail and the backyard mockingbird followed me chirping up a storm. It got a lot closer to me than normal. I couldn't tell if it was trying to warn me to get away or get me to help. Mom is still showing up and feeding the baby, so I am going to assume things are OK. I noticed there are at least 3 mockingbirds around, so I guess they are working together. I have seen that before where each one has a territory to patrol and they do it so when one is at the far edge of its territory, the other one will be closest to the other end of its territory. I've also had them warn me on 2 occasions that a snake was around.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
14,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I could see the baby was getting tired of sitting on the branch and wanted to move, A little while later I noticed he wasn't on his branch any longer, but I could see one of the lower branches shake, so I knew he was still there. I went out the front door to take a peek and 2 mockingbirds made it clear I was not welcome. One landed on the roof and chirped at me and the other one did a low flyover to let me know I had gone far enough. I went back inside.

I went out again about a half hour later and baby bird and mama bird and daddy bird had all disappeared. Evidently baby bird had learned to fly.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
We don't have mockingbirds up here, so I don't know if their natural history is different than other birds, but-- is this the runt of the litter and the others have already matured and left, or is this the only surviving baby or do MBs only lay one egg (that would be unusual for birds)?...I agree -- Leave it alone. Life is tough in The Jungle. Don't help perpetuate weak genes.

·
Premium Member
3,474 Posts
Sigh, if only that applied to the **** sapiens.

·
Premium Member
3,474 Posts
Huh, evidently ya can't say *omo.:)

·
Saltine American
6,784 Posts
I think this is normal for mocking birds and I see them dive-bombing my cats often. Leave it alone.

·
Premium Member
26,569 Posts
When the babies first leave the nest they are not capable of actual flight. Their muscles need time to grow. The parent birds spend about a week feeding fledglings until the young are ready to forage on their own. As long as the parents are feeding the baby, things are working as they should.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
14,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The thing is, how often do you get to watch something like this from about 4 feet away?

I find mockingbirds fascinating. They seem to like people and will often come when I call them. When they are doing their long song, they seem to like an audience. They also act as the police for their neighborhood, driving much larger birds away. I have seen them attack a snake trying to climb a tree to get at a bird nest, a snake that was approaching my picnic table at the beach, the neighborhood cat, and even drive a hawk out of the yard. When you see a large bird being harassed by a small bird, the small bird s likely a mockingbird.

They always remind me of a pinwheel when they are in flight with the white and black on their wings flashing.

·
Premium Member
26,569 Posts
It is a lot of fun to watch the young birds when they first leave the nest. I have House wrens that nest in a box in my front yard. It's been there for years but I have got to see the babies fledging only once.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts