Baby it's cold outside!

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Jenn, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

I could stretch wire and then fence on another section of chain link, or shovel hay straw and compost into another raised bed we just screwed together, but I'd much rather sit inside! Maybe if I get really bundled up the work and the sunshine will get me toasty warm. Winter boots though!

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

I've been told that Alabama can be colder than a well diggers shovel in the winter time. A construction worker was helping where I delivered some equipment here in northern Indiana when the temp was near zero in the afternoon. I told him, "I bet you wish you were in Alabama right now don't you?"
    He said, "Oh I don't know. It gets down around zero, and just hangs there down home!"

Say warm Jenn.

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Ayep! It must be 70 or less here this morning.

4. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

We had freeze-the-inside-of-your-nose kind of cold this morning! I was mad at myself because I broke the chicken's water bucket trying to knock the ice out. Wouldn't you figure the bucket heater is burried on a shelf behind three rows of straw stacked four high? I thought about climbing the straw to get it, but then I had this vision of the bales falling on me and no one finding me until 3:30 when the rest of the family gets home! :eek: Guess I'll just take several fresh buckets out today until the guys get home to spot me!

5. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

Jenn - it's the damp in the cold that gets in your bones here in Alabama. It's 27 this morning when I went out. High to be about 42 today...

I was warmer in a blizzard in Denver, or walking in a snow storm in Munising MI than some of the damp colds we have here in Alabama.
    The dry cold doesn't seem to get in your bones as much.

Angie

:coffee: <- hot chocolate in this case.

6. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

I agree angie. Here when its in the high 30's for a month, and raining the weather feels terribley cold. Now that it is down in the 20's, and snowing, the air has dried out, and its much more comfortable.

7. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Max and Angie- thanks, I always wondered- I thought maybe snow just made you feel better or not mind having the heat on whereas no snow the cold bugs you more. It's not the cold, it's the humidity! once again!

8. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

was -20C (about -2F) today (near normal average for this time of year at night). I was out most of the morning sweating away cutting firewood and clearing brush. :shrug:

9. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

After digging out from 10 or 11 inches of snow Friday, we split wood this past weekend. Had the whole family involved. Daytime temps in the teens and 5 below Sunday morning.
    Brrrr. It was cold, but productive. That wood stove is certainly worth it's weight in gold on weekends like that.