Baby is sick again, new symptoms...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by tinetine'sgoat, Jul 19, 2006.

1. tinetine'sgoat

tinetine'sgoat Luvin' my family in MO

OK the sore mouth is under control, and he had been eating well and acting alot livelier, but just today he has went completely off of his feed. COMPLETELY off, I cant get anything in him. I struggled with him to get some Nutri cal in him around six after he had refused two feedings in a row. Went back out to offer more food around 9 and he is hunching up and has mucousy greenish stool. He is on antibiotics for 3 more days for his pink eye infection. I gave him some probios, but I'm somewhat lost. Drench, probios, antibiotics...what am I missing. He had been doing well on his formula, but should I switch it over now to our goats milk. I can milk in the morning and try it I guess, but I don't want to mess his stomach up any worse. I don't have any pepto or I would give him some. Do you think Salmonella or Cocci? His brother is a bouncing happy little guy now and it makes me so sad to see the other one just not thriving. :Bawling:

2. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

By all means---use the goat's milk!

Have the poops cultured.

3. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

BTW, if the antibiotics are oral---don't give them the same time as the milk, it interferes with how they work.

Hunching is not good, it means there is more going on than just a change of diet loose poop...keep his stall very, very clean...

4. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

Do you have any yogurt with active cultures ? Give him some. ALso goats milk is so much better than powder replacer. Lots of people have problems with replacer. Do you have calf manna ? If so I would only offer it for grain.

Sunshine often does wonders along with fresh air. Try to get the little guy out for awhile.

I would also treat for coccidia. Any time an animal is sick they are more likely to be effected by parasites because there immune system is down. Therefore we have to be extra carefull.

5. witchysharon

witchysharon Well-Known Member

6. tinetine'sgoat

How fresh does the sample need to be? I won't be able to get to the vets till this afternoon with it, but he has some clinging to his bottom now. Can I bag it and put it in the fridge til I can go?

7. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

If you don't have a recent stool, with diarrhea the vet can extract enough from the kid to do a fecal. It doesn't take much of a sample. Hunching is not a good symptom. Do find out right away if and what kind of parasites this goat might have and you can take it from there. As for formula, what is the history? Was this kid on formula from the getgo and the same kind? Not a fan of formulas though many have been used successfully. If I can't get goat's milk I've had 100% no problems with whole cow's milk. Just do any switches gradually.

8. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

Have you treated him for cocci or had him on prevention? If not, I would give him cocci meds NOW, not wait for a fecal. With the diarrhea, the fecal might not tell you much anyway. Since he's been sick, his immune system is already weak, so if he hasn't had anything to keep the cocci numbers down, it makes sense that he'd be having problems now.

9. tinetine'sgoat

OK I got some Di-methox powder. The Fiasco web site says to mix packet with 3 cups water and give 1 ml for every 5 pounds the first day and 1 for every 10 pounds for the days 2-5. Should I give some to the other little guy as preventative? Should I follow with probios this evening to keep everything running smoothly? Thank you for the info!!