Baby goats in the bath tub again!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Jillis, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Wow! We had a surprise snowstorm that dumped 14 inches of really wet, very HEAVY snow on our area this week! We had not electricity or phone for 48 hours. Fortunately, we have a fireplace and it wasn't below freezing, so we kept warm enough. The second day our water tank ran out, so that was another problem...trees down EVERYWHERE! We are on a mostly wooded 10 acre piece. Our scenery has changed drastically. In the road in front of our property there were SEVERAL trees down! ALL you can hear are chain saws!
    Of course, the heat lamp was out, so back into the house came the 2 babies!
    They really got sick of being in the tub by the third night! When the lights came on last night, the FIRST thing we did was truck them right on out to the kidding stall. They were sooo happy! And so was I!
    We are definitely getting a generator! Almost lost all the meat in my freezer!
    It took me three hours to clear all the snow off the outdoor chicken coops, dig out the duck house, shovel out the gates and doors to barns, pens and coops. That snow is HEAVY! It came down so fat, fluffy and fast that it didn't go through the chicken wire on the garden fences and chicken coops. Instead it clogged up and made huge piles and took down the garden fences, broke a couple of coop sides, and now I have no enclosure for the ducks or the four roosters that were in the garden!
    Thankfully, my son says he will fix the fences today!
    Blessings, Jillis!
    PS---you southerners crack me up when you say it is getting cold or chilly! To us, it is cold when you step outdoors and instantly all the hairs in your nostrils straight to your brain freeze up and crackle! :eek:

2. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

The bathtub! Why have I never thought of that? It's warm in the bathroom and the tub is easy to clean....hmmmmm. Hopefully I have kids due in late January when it's really crappy out, so now I can put them in the bathtub.

Ruth

3. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Hey, to us "southners" any temperature drop that we are not used to IS cold. And right now it is COLD, <wink>.

P.S. You northeners ALWAYS crack me up when you say that it is hot, or when you come down here and melt, haha.

4. moosemaniac

Heck, it's 43 at my house right now. For this time of year, that's a heat wave! No jacket needed.

Ruth

5. Goat Freak

Well it is about 30 degrees here, and it feels pretty cold, course then 'gin I's just a southner, we's used to the heat, but not that there cold.

P.S It is SO hard to try and sound like a hick while you are typeing.

6. tinetine'sgoat

tinetine'sgoat Luvin' my family in MO

You did a fine job, I can almost see your blackened teeth now... :eek:

7. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

Reminds of a conversation I had with a fellow in North Carolina one winter - he answered the phone all out of breath, saying his glasses were fogged up, must be 30 degrees out there! I asked if he had any idea what -40 felt like as that was the windchill up here that day! :eek: Pretty scary when you see a transport truck sliding backwards down a very large bridge because it's too cold for the road salt to work!

Goats in the bathtub, eh? I'll have to remember that one, although I'm planning to breed so that they arrive in April or May. I've had one on the couch when I was using the dehorning paste. :sing:

8. moosemaniac

I had a baby in my bed one night (my DH was not happy) But we went out in the middle of the night when another doe went into labor.

I also recently lost a 6 month old doe to pneumonia in my living room. I tried very hard to save her, but :shrug:

Ruth

9. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

I am a Floridian turned Montanan, so I have lived on both sides of the fence. I think the weather in Florida is much easier to deal with, but then again I remember thinking 30 degrees was so cold I couldn't stand it and now I don't really think of it being cold unless it gets into single digits. I can even stand that, its the minus numbers that I don't care for. I guess what the difference is, is the humidity and of course...what you are used to. Despite the temperatures, I would much rather live in Montana than in Florida. Personally I don't care for the heat, I much prefer the colder temps.

BTW Goat Freak, your southern, well...you did me proud!!!

10. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Goats in the bathtub.....brings back memories of a few years ago. We had a cold spell and we brought our babies in and stuck them in the bathtub for a couple weeks. They were soooo cute.....but I was ready for quiet by the time it warmed back up again!! :happy:
    And then there was the time we babysat a pet bottle pig for a friend. She had to go out of town unexpectedly and we got a piglet dumped on us. He lived in the shower for a week. Woke us up several times a night for his bottle of cows milk. Wilbur was his name of course...... :eek: He was adorable.
    And then there was the calf who we thought we would lose to pnuemonia. He lived in the greenhouse for a month. And the two kids from the neighbor which had deformed legs. They lived in a box in the kitchen till they got to walking. And the kitchen chicken with the crooked beak......Oh, its always been a zoo around here!! ;)

Emily Dixon
    Ozark Jewels
    Boers, Nubians, Lamanchas and Alpines

11. Goat Freak

Thanks guys! I have read a LOT of southern books so I really know how to hick it up.

P.S. I do NOT have black teeth, but I know of a LOT of people that do, and some of them are in my family, or are family friends, such as Worm Dirt.