baby goats anyday!! Question...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by cjb, May 4, 2006.

1. cjb

cjb Well-Known Member Supporter

My son has two does that are part oberhaslis and part saanen (more of the former then the latter). I bred them to a Nubian buck, as I did last year. Last year's babies were stinking cute! One of them had one ear up and one down :)

The does are sisters - they have the same Mom. One was part of a pair of twins, one part of a set of triplets. I've heard that, if a goat was a triplet, she's more likely to have triplets etc. How would that work in this case? Their mother had twins once and triplets three times.

Last year, one doe had only one baby and the other had twins. What are my chances of having twins/triplets this year? They seem larger then last year.

I'm excited - I love baby goat time.

Another question: Last year, we only had the two goats. We kept one baby so we now have three does but didn't breed the youngest one. Can the mom's delivery all in the same pasture/barn or should they all be separated. I was so paranoid last year that I kept the two does in separate pens until they babies were several days old. Will last year's doeling harm brand new babies? Right now, her mom and aunt won't play with her so she climbs the fence, runs down to the house and plays with my children.. ugh.

Cjb

2. LittleRedHen

LittleRedHen Well-Known Member Supporter

I dont know how most people do it. But where we live we have a huge area full of sheep. I would say about 100 sheep and they all delivered on their own out in the field together. They are owned by the city and used to keep the grass down around the lagoons. If they can get 100 sheep to deliver near each other then im sure you could do a few goats together just fine. Most goats will go away when one is im labor at least that is what ours did.

3. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a good friend who has no trouble with her goats kidding together. Just keep an eye on them, sometimes a doe will prefer a quiet place alone.

Best wishes for a happy kidding!

4. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

We had 7 pregnant does this year, and they all delivered in the same paddock on different days. I never separate them unless I see some agressiveness that I think is dangerous, and we did not have any of that. They tend to try to put distance between them and the other goats when they are delivering, but not very far.