baby goat poops

Discussion in 'Goats' started by EatChevre, May 14, 2006.

1. EatChevre

EatChevre I Brake for Dairy Goats

I just brought home two Nubian doelings, under two weeks old. Their poops are yellowish, mucusy, soft plops. They have just been switched from goat's milk to cow's milk. They are also nibbling on hay and alfalfa pellets. Is this soft poop the norm for a baby on milk? Will it firm up once they start eating more solid food?
    I'm guessing that it's a bit of a rough transition for their digestive systems to go from goat milk to cow's - so I've been giving them some probios in their milk too.

2. Caren

Caren Well-Known Member Supporter

I just had muy first kids a month ago and you are describing their first poops. After they start on the hay the poops will look like bbs (big grin)!

Caren

3. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Yellow, soft poops are normal for a baby that is just on milk. I hope you were able to transition them gradually from the goat milk to cow milk -- you should never make sudden changes of feed. The probios was a good idea, though.

Kathleen

4. nduetime

nduetime I am a Christian American Supporter

All my babies are doing the same and I remember their Momma's doing that too.

5. EatChevre

Thanks! Feeling much better knowing that it's normal - instead of guessing that it's probably normal.

6. wooly1s

wooly1s Well-Known Member

Baby poos sound normal, but I do wonder about the cow's milk. I know in my sheep circles, cow's milk for a lamb will cause anemia and scours, and by the time it becomes apparent, it is too late to reverse the damage...Anybody have success raising kids on cow's milk?

7. witchysharon

witchysharon Well-Known Member

If goats milk is not available, cows milk is what most everyone i know prefers to use for bottle babies. I prefer it to replacer anyday. I have raised several babies on it and never had an issue with diarrhea at all.....replacers often cause scours. I add 1 pint of heavy cream to a gallon of whole cows milk though. My babies grew just fine and healthy on cows milk...no anemia whatever.

8. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Store bought whole cows milk is just fine for baby goats. It is what many of the folks who raise even the most expensive dairy show goats use. I am wondering if the transition is giving them a bit of diarrhea. Have they been wormed? Are you giving them too much too fast? Are you taking the chill out of the milk, or giving it cold? You might try giving them some probios. Also some baking soda.

9. EatChevre

I did mention in my original message that I was giving them Probios. I do warm up the milk. I had a fecal test on them yesterday - and found that coccidia and worms are not the culprit. The vet agrees that the abrupt change from goat milk to cow's milk is what is causing this problem. I will keep giving them the milk with Probios in it and offer hay and some grain. Other than the "soft-serve" poops, they seem very healthy. I will offer them the baking soda and maybe that will help with any discomfort they might be having.