Baby goat play structures..

Discussion in 'Goats' started by GoldenWood Farm, Jan 3, 2005.

1. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

I was wondering if people could post their pictures of what they built/have for their goat kids to play on. Or give me some ideas. I am building a baby goat pen and I would like to build some platforms and structures for them to climb around on. Thanx!

MotherClucker

2. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

I went to yard sales and got a couple of those big bright plastic toddler slides with platforms and tunnels. They cost a fortune new but go for a little of nothing at yard sales. I also have a picnic table and a small stool.
    My kid play yard looks like a day care center.

When the kids are small a concrete block works but be careful, They tend to try to crawl through and get stuck in them. Don't stack them as they can knock them over and get hurt. Be careful of wooden spools too.
    They have holes in them that will break a little leg if they step in them. Screw a board over the holes and they are ok to use.

3. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I've got cable reels (spools). When I first brought them home, I covered the holes in them. But....it turns out they're slippery for hooves! So, I made them un-slippery. I have one standard one, with regular bricks under it to keep it off the ground, then another one cut in half, with each end set at a different level, so they can jump from one to the other. Then, I stapled poultry wire over each round, including the base of the intact one. Edges were covered with strips of wood. Then I put concrete on all of them. I made sure it was rough enough to have a grip, but without any sharp edges to cut little ones. It also helps, because we have soft ground here, and no natural stone to wear hooves down. So, they play, the hooves wear, and I trim less.

I also put the entire thing in the shade of a maple tree, so they can reach maple branches from on it, too...at least for now!

Works for me, but I'd love to add to the playground!

Meg :)

4. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

We use the wooden spools also but covered them with astro turf. A huge one in the middle then descending sizes in four directions (looks like a big X from the sky). The goats (kids and adults) love them.

5. TexasArtist

TexasArtist Well-Known Member

I use some old tires. The tire place had a bunch stacked up out back when I was getting new tires. I asked them what they do with the old tires and the guy said they pay a company to take thme away. I asked them if I could have some for my goats to play on and they asked how many I wanted. Just be picky which ones you take so they don't have the steel ires poking out and such.