Baby goat diarrhea and no weight gain??

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Milk n' Honey, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

Well, I've been doing pretty well with the little red fullblood Boer buckling. He's strong and seems healthy. I bottle feed him according to the directions in one of my "goat" books. He was 2 wks old yesterday. The last couple of days, he has started having this oozing yellowish-brown diarrhea. I don't think that constituted as scours but nonetheless, I was wondering if I should be worried?? I went ahead and started on a Di-Methox treatment in case of coccidiosis. We haven't had anybody else get that though. Also, I just checked his weight. He weighed 9.7 lbs at 2 days. At two weeks, he weighs 9.5 lbs!!??? This isn't good is it? Shouldn't he be picking up weight? Is this because he hasn't been eating hay good enough yet to start his weight gain? He seems really healthy as far as the way he acts. He is super spunky and runs around. I just wanted all your opinions about it. Thanks so much!! I'm trying to get a picture posted of him but I'll put that on a new thread.

2. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

what did you use to weight him? he should have gained at least 10# as a boer buck.

3. Milk n' Honey

I used a digital postage scale used for shipping large items. I put my daughter on there, calibrated it and had her hold him. Both times I did this so it should show a weight gain even if the scale isn't accurate. So, you are saying that he should weigh 19.7 lbs now?

4. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

What are you feeding him?

5. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

What kind of milk are you giving him? And how much?

6. Milk n' Honey

We,ve been feeding him milk from our saanan. The first week he got 10 onces 4 times a day. Then for the second week we have been giving him 12 onces three times a day with free choice alfalfa hay. We think that he may be nibbling on this but we're not sure. We just know that he is dragging it out of the rack. Thanx :shrug:

7. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

I don't think that's enough milk. I don't know much about Boers, but we give our dairy kids way more milk than that. They are up to 20 ozs. per bottle, in the first week. I would think Boers would get even more then dairy kids? Ours are 4 weeks old, and we just cut back from 3 bottles a day to 2. Those bottles are about 24 oz. per kid, give or take. (They all eat together out of a lambar, so it varies a little from kid to kid.) So our little Lamancha boys are getting twice as much milk as your guy, and they're gaining nicely.

8. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd give him at least 40 oz. of milk a day. If he continues to have the runs, I've just found a good product. It's called Diarsanyl. It has to be given either 1 hour after or 3 hours before the cocci meds. It has something to coat the intestines and also electrolytes. I got some from my vet and found that some feed stores also carry it.

9. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

Is that the same one in the pick? He is darned nice lookin and should be gaining steadily. I am with homebirtha..I would guess he is underfed. My caution now would be to take it gradual as you increase him.

I wish you much luck...at two days old...he has alot of qualitie that I look for..I would hate to see you run into trouble with him now. When I got this last buck..I sure had some problems..But Praise to God..he got over them and now I should probably being taking weight OFF of him..lol.

10. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Last question---did he get the colostrum?

11. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

At two weeks kids should be increasing their milk intake, not decreasing. His rumen hasn't started kicking in yet so liquid nourishment is still the mainstay. But "oozing" stool should not be overlooked and may be connected to weight loss. Perhaps internal parasites or cocci or some gastrointestinal infection going on? Or simply munching on something in the pen?

12. Milk n' Honey

Well, I went on a couple of websites that explained how much to bottle feed a Boer kid and it would seem that I'm giving him enough, however, if he isn't gaining, I maybe should consider that he does need more.

goatkid - I would only be adding 4 more ounces to his daily intake. He gets 36 ounces/day now. I can try adding an extra ounce per feeding. That would be 39 ounces/day. I just can't see where that would make much difference but I will try it for sure. I'll check his weight again. Would some probios help him in any way? I'll see if I can find the diarsanyl. What about a little pepto? I've heard of some people using a little of that. Thanks for your help.

Sher - Yes, that is him in the picture. Thank you!! I wasn't going to get him b/c I was afraid to try it and he was expensive, especially considering he was an orphan. However, when I saw him, all blocky, heavy boned, nice topline ect., I couldn't say no. I'm a sucker maybe. If he turns out, he'll be well worth it!! I just love his face. He is adorable to me. I can see why people get so attached to these bottle babies!! He will be 3 wks old this weekend. Do you think it might help him to join the other kids? They will be 5 and 6 wks old this weekend. They are bigger than him. I just thought it might help him to see the others eating hay and grain??? Is alfalfa hay OK for him? I've heard that you shouldn't give alfalfa to a buck b/c of urinary calculi. Is this just for older ones or little kids too?

Jillis - Yes, he got colostrum off of his Mommy before she died, I was told and then I brought him home and gave him some of the frozen colostrum I had saved away. So he should be OK there.

moonspinner - My book says that you should not increase milk b/c then they don't want to eat hay and such. It recommends the 36 ounces/day. Do you disagree with this approach then? It seems like nobody is doing it this way. You think you can buy a book and no what to do but then the rule of thumb is that there is no rule of thumb, right? LOL It is confusing to know what to do!!

Thanks for everybody's help! I sure hope and pray that he does OK. I'm anxious to see him mature. Most of the red bucks I have seen have been pretty in coloring but not conformation. I'm hoping he turns out well. After all, he will be influencing my entire herd with his genetics!! Well, I better go get his bottle ready. Keep the suggestions coming. What would I do without you guys??