Baby Girl

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Tadpole, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Tadpole

Tadpole Tadpole

I have a baby girl that was born January 12. she has been fine up to now. I have milked and feed her the milk and she is eating sweet feed. Yesterday I noticed she didn't want to finish her bottle 3 cups morning and night. Also she walks slow and like her front legs bother her. She is in a hay shed and not wet so what can it be? The other baby born Dec 17 is in there with her and same thing I do for her and she is fine. Any help please.

2. elly_may

elly_may Well-Known Member

Hello,
    What breed of goat are we talking about?
    Have you taken the little one's temp?
    How are her berries, any diarrhea?

What I would do if she were mine is to eliminate the sweet feed and provide good quality hay. The milk is a rumen acidifier as well as molasses in the sweet feed. She could be suffering from ruminal acidosis which is very hard to reverse once rumen ph falls below 4.0 Baking soda is an alkaline and will provide some relief, so I would mix that into her next bottle.

An adult whose rumen is functioning can digest sugars, carbs, etc as they have built up all the bacteria necessary to process it. But, the baby's rumen is just starting to get all the necessary actions going, and hay is the best thing to do the job of providing all the "fingers" in the rumen that need to process feedstuff.

Right now I would suggest milk and hay, provide fresh water and minerals once she is feeling better. Give her some Vitamin B's and C as well.

3. rhjacobi

rhjacobi Well-Known Member

Hi Tadpole,

It does sound at least like a stomach ailment. Being in Missippi, you probably have a similar climate to ours which is a wonderful place to grow parasites in abundance. I wouldn't discount worms or Coccidiosis as the problem. We have to start preventative schedules here in southern Tennessee at about 3 or 4 weeks. If goats are new to your premises, the possibility of Coccidiosis/worms may decrease a little, but still one thing to consider.

I don't use sweet feed for anything so I'm not totaly familiar with it, but I think that I would also wean them from it. If you are going to feed rations, I would use a goat rations preferably a grower type for kids. However, even a kid can receive full nutrition with a good quality hay and a good mineral/vitamin supplement.

Probiotics can help keep kid tummies from getting out of balance as they eat more and more solid food. All of this is only some more possibilities. Your best bet is to at least consult with a vet (a good LIVESTOCK vet) to determine what it is for sure. It is also a great way to learn.

I can't see the other response when I am answering, but as they said somethings can be hard to reverse. I wouldn't delay determining exactly what it is.

Bob
    Lynchburg, TN.

4. Tadpole

Tadpole Tadpole

Thanks for the help I will take her off sweet feed now. She is a Alpine. And I know her place is very dry and I will tomorrow give her some baking soda. About how much a teaspoon you think? Don't think that would hurt??? She may be a little better. drank all her bottle tonight and I forgot to say it seems that she may be having a hard time sucking the bottle( what I mean is tired of suckng fast) so I put a bigger X in it. Did I do right, seems to get it better now.

5. elly_may

elly_may Well-Known Member

The baking soda, teaspoon should be fine. I would also offer her some in a dish and let her take as much as she wants.

Perhaps she was not getting enough from the bottle as she was having to suck harder, so by enlarging the hole that probably will help.

Hopefully tomorrow you should see some improvement with her energy level.

How are her front legs doing today? If they still seem like they are bothering her, I would suggest some Bo-Se (selenium and vitamin E) as this helps the muscles if they are deficient in selenium, and the vitamin E helps the body use the mineral to it's fullest.

Let us know how she is doing.