baby food jars for seed storage?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Wildfire_Jewel, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Wildfire_Jewel

Wildfire_Jewel Well-Known Member Supporter

I am getting quite a collection of glass baby food jars (from my day care baby) and was wondering if they would make good seed storage containers? I am also going to use them for dried herb storage as well.....
    Also are there any books you could recommend on saving seeds. I have done it before with annual flowers but they are easy. This next year I want to start saving veggie seeds as well.
    THANKS!

2. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

3. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

It's actually quite the contrary. I use 1.5 and 2.5 ounce jelly and mustard jars which are often found in food gift packs. If the seeds are sufficiently dry, sealed jars or vials ARE the best for long-term storage. Then they will never be affected by changing humidity levels. That's responsible for more no-shows at germination than many other factors. Real long-term storage is to seal them in a jar and place them in a freezer. And, a few seed companies sell many of their seeds in sealed foil or plastic packets. Virtually everything that I've ever bought from SSE was in such secondary packets.

Martin

4. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

I use baby food jars and film canisters and pill bottles, Bad part is storing them and space.

5. catmar

catmar Well-Known Member

The jars are great because I can see what I have. I also drop one of those small packs of silicone in it for any moisture. I get the packets from the many boxes of computer equipment DH gets, plus you can "revitalize" them in the oven.

6. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

I've also heard you can use packets of powdered milk to absorb moisture. tried it, but didnt have moisture to start-so still dont know-

7. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

I saved seeds in baby food jars and other jars for years with good results. This year I got a Foodsaver and vacuum packed my seeds. They are in the freezer now and hopefully will store well there, taking up little space. I fyou have the baby food jars and the space, go for it. :)

8. Kee Wan

Kee Wan Well-Known Member

Seems to me tha tI read a study someplace about a comparison of seed storage methods vs germination, and the cam-loc glass cannign jars won out by some significant margian...only the sealed all-glass ampules were better - but those were one-use and had to be literally broken to get the seeds out.....

I Found some larger cam-locs at a rummage sale - replaced the gaskets and place all my seeds in.....

We'll see what happens. I've used plastic baggies before - but they are not 100% airtight.....

I'l see if I can find that article.....

9. NorthernMich

NorthernMich Well-Known Member

Film canisters are free for the asking and fit in the clear Plano boxes found in the sporting goods sections.

10. just ducky!

just ducky! Duffer is my #1 pet duck!

Another good idea for small seeds are tic-tac containers! I have been using these to store my seeds and they work great!