Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cans a baby bunny eat regulars hay at 3 weaks for age or should they wait on hay..? whats be safe for them to eat... also can a persons trun them on their back to sexes them? reason asked is my uncle brother truns his on back to be sexes ands next day be dead why thats be..did he breakn backs when do its or ... he sexes 4 one days ands n exts they ddeads.whats he do worng..?

·
Premium Member
24,051 Posts
Baby bunnies eat hay as soon as their eyes open (sometimes before) but mine always ate hay before they would eat pellets. It shouldn't kill a rabbit to flip it on it's back but yes, if it is done wrong you can break the back.

·
Duchess of Cynicism
3,230 Posts
I attended a 4H educational day and learned the proper way to 'flip' a rabbit--It was most helpfull, and certainly, less tressfull on all of us-- AND-- someone's suggestion of rubbing the tummy as the rabbits are on their back proved usefull as well-- the critters relaxed nicely

Haven't tried the 'head down' position yet-- but here is waiting for another day of handling....

I am also incorporating some of the "wild animal" handling techniques I learned while doing volunteer work at a wildlife rehab center. It is taking me a while to get back into the smooth, continuous movements needed, but being certain of your movements means the rabbit will wind up HOW you want it a lot sooner and more safely...

No new scratches this morning-- YES!!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts