? baby bunnies

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by thefarmerswife, Aug 30, 2006.

1. thefarmerswife

thefarmerswife NY_Cowgirls Mom&Herself

I have 2 Holland lop babies when will there eyes open? they are two weeks
    old today
    the pics were taken a couple of days ago

Here are some pics[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. thefarmerswife

3. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

They usually open in 10 days. Check to see if the eyes have little crusties on them. If they do, use warm water on cotton balls and wash lids to loosen crusties. I have physically pulled the lids apart to open them if necessary. You don't want them to stay closed too long or they can get infected.

4. thefarmerswife

So should I try to open them Myself? :shrug:

5. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

I do if they will not open after washing the crud off. Doesn't take much, just thumbs on both lids and gently pulling apart.

6. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

Well? Are they open? Don't leave me hanging here...

7. thefarmerswife

Yes they are open my friend and I cleaned the gunk off and they opened.
    now there hopping around the cage, this morning they ate a little solid food and where drinking out of the water bottle. Thanks for the advice. :)

8. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Hmmm, if the eyes took more than 14 days to open, an infection may have set in already...eye infections are pretty common in baby rabbits. Did you notice a white, pus-like discharge when you opened the eyes? Just keep a close eye on the youngsters and if the eyes get gunked up again then you'll need to wash them open again and treat.

Since these are not meat rabbits, eye infections can be treated with a generic terramycin eye ointment...usually available from farm supply stores like Tractor Supply Co. If the eyes are infected, then you want to stop is ASAP...infections can blind the rabbit if they're allowed to progress.

Ok...if you ARE dealing with an eye infection, don't feel bad. :) It happens to everyone if you breed long enough. The key is to try to prevent it from happening next time. Prevention can include sterilizing the cage and nestbox before the litter is born; completely emptying the nestbox, sterilizing and refilling it with clean bedding on day 8 or 9; and removing the nestbox as early as two weeks.

You can sterilize equipment with plain ol' chlorine bleach and water...there's also an iodine-based product called Vanodine (www.vanodine.com) which is designed specifically for animal use. You can use it for everything from cage floors to feed and water dishes and you don't have to rinse it off...supposedly, it can even be added to the water.