baby born dead need help

Discussion in 'Goats' started by daisymae joanie, Mar 11, 2005.

1. daisymae joanie

daisymae joanie Active Member

my first freshening togg. mix had a still born doe kid today.when i fed this morning she showed no signs of discharge or labor.ate all her feed and hay.when i went to evening feed she did not come out of the barn when i went in she stood up and the baby's back legs just slid out.i tried to clean her up and rouse her but she was not alive.
    my questions are,the babys cord was only about an inch long and not hanging from mom,so i think it must have broke before she came out.also she had what seemed to be teeth but they are like red gums no real teeth is that normal?just tring to figure out if she was early or not??????also her eyes were closed and very hazey when i opened them.

o.k. about my marie now,she has fluid filled bubbles hanging from her and what looks to me like the cloudy colored sac but it is just starting to come out.also this sac has what looks to be small blood clots in the membrains.looks to me like she had the baby before the sac. this does not look like the afterbirth to me.

i milked her out and got two cups of colostrum hoping this will help her contract and move it on out.
    any help is greatly appreciated.

2. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

I am a first timer also,
    after my doe freshened, she had a sac filled with pinkish fluid hanging for a while. I beleive it was the afterbirth. Also, my kid was born with teeth, so maybe yours was early.
    Sorry I cant help more, and I am sorry for your loss.

3. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

If your sure shes not having another kid, then it should be the afterbirth. The second kid coming will sometimes be a bubble first.I would just let it come out naturally.Do not pull on it. From what you discribe it sounds like the afterbirth.

4. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

If it were me I would wash up really well, put some KY Jelly on my hand and stick my hand up in there and feel around to see if there could be another kid in there. Does she look like she is having any contractions at all? Any more labor? IF it is just afterbirth left in there then just let it be. It should pass before 12 hours. If it doesn't you can get a dose of oxytocin from the vet and give to her IM in the hip muscle 1/2 cc. Sorry your kid was lost. As far as kids being born with or without teeth. It can be both ways. If they are born without teeth within 3 or 4 days they will probably start coming in. I had triplets born Tuesday and they are cutting teeth today. If it had hair and well formed body and features and was the correct size for a full term kid then it probably wasn't premature. Usually premature kids will lack hair.

5. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm so sorry you had to find one dead; it never gets easier, does it?

Just for general info, the thin, whitish sac around the baby is called the "amnion" (like, amnionic fluid, you know?). Usually, it comes out surrounding the baby, and then a hole is torn in it either by the mother licking, or by the pressure of the delivery, it will have clear fluids in it.

The "afterbirth" is the lining of the uterus; it is very vascular (meaning lots of tiny blood vessels) because it was creating the blood and nutrition for the baby through the umbilical cord. SOMETIMES, the afterbirth comes immidiately following the baby and the amnion, and they all just seem like a tangled mess. USUALLY, the kid will be out, he'll be laying on his amnion, and his umbilical cord will still be running from his tummy up into mom's body; still attached to that vascular afterbirth. As the umbilical cord drains it's last bit of nutrients into baby, it naturally srivels and gets soft enough to break on its own (or mom/baby thrashing around will tear it). So mom will have a bit of cord hanging out. The act of licking that amnionic fluid off her baby (it actually has some pain-killing properties!) and that baby starting to try to suckle will cause more contractions of the uterus, and the afterbirth will be pushed out (usually pretty darn quick in a happy, healthy doe).

So that's the visuals to look for. I have had the experience of seeing just a plain old baby come out; no amnion, no afterbirth, and a short little umbilical cord, and we did watch to doe closely. She ended up dumping the whole mess in one fell swoop about an hour later. But this was NOT a normal birth. Something went on inside her that made that baby have stress on his umbilicus, his amnion torn from his body prematurely. He could have suffocated inside her if he hadn't popped out so fast... (without the umbilicus providing oxygenated blood, his body couldn't "breathe" inside her with it broken like it was). It was against the odds that he lived.

6. daisymae joanie

thanks for the replys and help.she kidded at 4pm yesterday and stilll not passed it this morning.so i am getting some oxytosin today.she is doing well otherwise.is there a need for antibiotics if so how much and what type?she is under 100lbs. i would say.

7. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

yes, iwould give her pen g. you can get it at the farm store, or from your vet. I would give it for ten days. and continue to milk her out. twice a day, it will help her to clean out. ask your vet for the dosage.

8. daisymae joanie

well i got some oxytocen in her lastnite and she passed a good sized puddle during the nite.she seems good and is milking well also.thanks for the help