Babies!!!!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by mmurrey, Jun 3, 2005.

1. mmurrey

mmurrey Well-Known Member

AFTER SEVERALLY DAYS OF CHECKING AND WEARING A PATH INTO THE GROUND TO CHECK IF THE DOE HAD HER BABIES YET, SHE HAD THEM LAST NIGHT. SHE IS A FIRST TIME MOTHER AND EVERYTHING SO FAR IS GOING GREAT. SHE HAD SEVEN BABIES, BUT ONE WAS IN THE NEST DEAD :waa: :waa: . THE REST SEEM OKAY. THEY ARE VERY BIG, AND AS MY LITTLIEST DAUGHTER SAYS THEY LOOK LIKE A BIG PIECE OF PINK BUBBLE GUM. NOW HOW LONG SHOULD I WAIT TO CHANGE THE BEDDING. I THOUGHT IT WAS LIKE 3-4DAYS AFTER THEY WERE BORN. IS THIS RIGHT? I WANT TO DO IT SOON CAUSE THERE IS ALOT OF BLOOD IN THE BOX ON THE HAY. THE MOM SEEMS TO BE OKAY SHE IS EATING THE FRESH GREENS THAT WE PUT IN THERE. THESE WEE ONES ARE MY DAUGHTERS 4-H PROJECT, AND LAST YEAR WE LOST 5 OF THE 9 THAT WERE BORN DUE TO THE HEAT. SHOUL THEY BE IN A NESTING BOX OR IS IT OKAY TO LEAVE THEM IN HER BUILT IN BOX? I DON'T WANT TO LOSE ANY THIS YEAR(IT WAS HARDER ON ME THAN MY DAUGHTER....LOL) I KEEP YOU ALL UPDATED AND IF ANYONE CAN HELP ON ANY ADVISE IT WOULD BE APPRECIATED.. :) :)

2. CurtisWilliams

CurtisWilliams Well-Known Member

North of Omaha, on the banks of the 'Muddy Mo'
    I cleaned the nest the day after my dutch kindled, but she had them in her litter box. The babies are doing well, despite my interference. If Mom is happy where she made her nest, I wouldnt worry about moving the kits. Make a box available and if she wants to, she will move things herself. Last night, my dutch decided she didn't want the nest in the litter box, it's now in the middle of her cage, right next to the nest box I put in a few days before she was due. Go figure.

3. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

Go ahead and take out any bloody mess ASAP ,, ants will find the nest otherwise and can swarm and kill all the babies ,, give her a few greens and she won't mind you cleaning ,, :)

I do my first cleaning of the nestbox as soon as I find out a doe has given birth ,, wet bloody hay/straw and any afterbirth or doa's will draw pests quick ,,

Is the built in box shaped well enough to keep the nest together where it won't get scattered ?? a doe can push a nest/babys around 'some' but she cannot pick up and move her babies ,, at all ,,

and if the nest isn't contained in some way ,, I've read many a post where the nest has gotten scattered during the nite and the next morning ,,, all the cold dead kits and everything is everywhere :waa:

4. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

Hi Chicken ,,, and I would put the nest and babies right into the nestbox you have for her ,, just to keep those babies in a more secure situation IMO ,,, than the open floor where the nest 'could' get scattered appart ,,

Even if she does have it all in a nice little nest now those kits start crawling around quick and if they crawl away out of the nest area ,, they will get chilled quickly and could die if not found in time,,

5. mmurrey

Okay, I just went out and put the nest box in with her and put some clean hay in and some of the hair that she had pulled out in it . Okay my question is now will the kits get to chilled in the nest box? It is made of wood and is big enough for her to get in and out of . It is four sided without a portion on the top. I am just worried that they will get chilled. I am a bit of a worry wart...LOL . Will she find the babies on her own and go in to feed them? Any help is always appreciated!!!

6. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

Oh yes ,, she will find and take care of them ,, in my opinion ,, check their bellies in the am & the pm ,, should be round and full ,,,

6 babies should be able to keep warm in a nest the size you described ,, with hay and her fur ,, how cold are your nites there in Ohio now ?? ,,,

if it really worries you ,, you could bring the nestbox inside late in the evenings ,, and take back out early the next morning ,,

I do this in the winter if the nites are real cold ,,, I'm a worrywart too ,, (saves finding a froze kit in the am when its gotten drug out of the nest because its hanging onto a tit) :waa: I'll leave out during the day if weathers ok ,, I'm home to 'find' a kit during the day ,,

But in the winter if the weather is down into the teens am thru pm I'll just take the nest out twice a day for 1 hour at a time ,,

7. mmurrey

Okay, just an updat on the babies :) The litter of babies are doing absolutely GREAT- I was so worried because this is the does first litter. She is doing such a good job. She is so loving . When we go to check on the little ones she comes out of the built in box and looks into the nest box as if to be saying " see they are all okay and that I am so proud. We are tickled at the way she is being such a good little mommy. So I just wanted to let all know everything is good here!!! :) :) :)

Thanks for all the help!!
    Mellissa

8. mmurrey

WELL THIS IS ANOTHER UPDATE AND ITS NOT GOOD :waa: :waa: THE MOMMA RABBIT ALMOST DIED OF HEATSTROKE TODAY AND WE LOST ONE OF THE BABIES :waa: THEY ARE IN HUTCHES THAT ARE IN THE SHADE AND THEY STILL GOT TO HOT. IT WAS ABOUT 90 TODAY AND THE RABBIT DID NOT LIKE IT AT ALL. I GOT HER INSIDE NOW AND PLAN TO KEEP THEM IN FOR A WHILE, AS TO HOPEFULLY NOT TO LOSE ANY OTHERS. HAS ANYONE EVER EXPIERIENCED ANY OF YOUR RABBITS HAVING HEATSTROKE? IF SO WHAT DID YOU DO? I HAVE NEVER HAD THIS BEFORE. WE WERE REALLY NERVOUS AND SCARED WE WERE GOING TO LOSE HER. I PUT HER ON THE BASEMENT FLOOR AND PUT SOME COOL WATER ON HER AND LAID SOME ICE BAGS AROUND HER. IF ANYONE HAS ANYTHING THAT I SHOULD HAVE DONE OR THAT I COULD DO IF THIS EVER HAPPENS AGAIN (HOPEFULLY NOT) PLEASE LET ME KNOW. ALSO DOES ANYONE KNOW IF RABBITS CAN HAVE PEDIALITE? I READ IN A BOOK THAT YOU SHOULD HAVE THAT IN A RABBIT MEDICAL KIT. IF SO WOULD IT HELP HER OUT AND GET HER ELECTROLYTES BACK IN BALANCE FROM STRESSING SO MUCH. ON A LIGHTER SIDE SHE IS STILL TAKING CARE OF HER KITS :D :D

9. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

We live in Texas and the heat here can get pretty bad. It has been in the mid 90's with heat index over 100. I freeze water in 2 liter coke bottles. In the mornings about 8 when I go out to milk my goats I lay a frozen coke bottle in each rabbit's cage. In the evening when I go milk I pick up the bottles that are about thawed out and take them in the house to refreeze over night. I also have a box fan that I suspended from the ceiling. I turn it on in the morning and let it blow on them all day and at night I turn it off. Yes I have lost a couple of rabbits before. One was a pregnant female that was almost due to give birth. Then I started doing the coke bottle thing. I also do not breed my rabbits during the hot months because it is just too hard on them.

10. T Lynn

T Lynn Well-Known Member

I live in Texas also. I also use frozen coke bottles to keep the rabbits cool during the summer. One word of advise. If you have kept the mamma and babies in the house be carefull when you mover her back outside. Remember, she is now use to the controled temperature of the house and not the hot outside. I had one rabbit that we got in the summer and was very little. We kept her in the house and because of this I had to wait until the fall to move her outside. Otherwise, she would over heat very quickly.

Good luck with your babies. We just had 2 about a week ago. One was dead when I found them. I put the other in the nest box with hay and the mother's hair. I did not expect it to live being the only one and no others to keep it warm. I guess this is one time that living in Texas with 90 degree weather has paid off. So far the little guy is doing well. I check on it daily and it is now covered with hair. A few more days and it should open its eyes. Still can't believe that it is still alive. :)

11. mmurrey

Bump