Babies!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by BlessedMom, Apr 19, 2005.

1. BlessedMom

BlessedMom Well-Known Member

Animal Husbandry is a funny thing. LOL!
    This afternoon we were breeding rabbits again. Then went to prepare for milking about 6:00 p.m. My DS13 comes running saying "Mom, um...I think someone had babies in the barn." I was stunned. I really thought he was joking.
    Our Snubian, Cricket, had triplets. Two bucklings and a doeling. I feel so bad that I was not there for her!
    The brown buckling and doeling are doing great. However, the lighter colored buckling we are still trying to get to stand and walk still. He seems very tall. He is the biggest one. The brown ones group together and are very active while the lighter colored one seems to stay on his own. I'm going to keep a close eye on him. We were not prepared at all for this. In fact, a few months ago I took her to a vet and was told that she was absolutely NOT pregnant. Guess who is getting a call in the morning?? Dh is going to go to the feedstore after work tomorrow to get me a few supplies. We had intended on bottle feeding. By the time we found them, they had already begun to nurse. We have left them all together tonight because we have NO place to put them right now! I feel very unprepared! The feed store here is great, but they really lack in any kind of goat supplies besides food!
    I've posted pics on my website. They are not very good ones. Hopefully in the morning I will be able to take better ones.

http://home.earthlink.net/~ljthornburg/sonshinefarms/id10.html

Off to get some rest as I'm still working on getting over pnemonia.

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Very nice surprise!

You may want to get some goat drench and BoSE for them at the feed store....if not Jeffers livestock carries it online. The drench can be given with a turkey baster or child medicine dropper with sqeeze top about a tsp each of drench will help perk up the weaker one and will benefit the others as well.

If you are keeping the doeling for future milker I'd bottle feed at least her. Baby bottles will work but pritchard nipples are my favorite...screw on to a pop or water bottle.

3. BlessedMom

BlessedMom Well-Known Member

Well we've got them up and wobbling. LOL!
    They are absolutely precious! Our very first goat kids here! Our Snubian is such a good momma. Very attentive. I now have the nipples for the babies.
    I'll start bottle feeding now. I'm not too concerned because I test all of our goats and they are CAE/CS Negative. I can't get the BoSe until tomorrow morning.
    Now I have to think up names??? Any suggestions??

Thanks!