babies

Discussion in 'Goats' started by sleeps723, Jan 22, 2007.

1. sleeps723

sleeps723 Well-Known Member

how old befor u start feeding babies reg food? mine r about 1 week old and still bottle feeding. how long befor they r weaned?

2. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

my first kids of this year are know a little bit over two weeks old and started to nibble on their alfa/grass hay. they are getting the bottle four times a day and will do so till at least four week old. then they are getting three times the bottle. my kids are weaned with five to six month. at that time i start to feed them dry grain mix.
    this is very controversal as many wean kids at much earlier age. i like how my kids look when they are six month old. i met another breeder last year and she was suprized how big my kids were.

3. Madge

Madge Member

I think it's best to follow nature on this one. If kids are left with their mother she will gradually wean them sometime around 5 months (although I have known them to still sneak a quick little drink when they are a year old!) so I like to do the same with my bottle babies. Of course, if you really need the milk for your family etc you will have to wean earlier but if you can wait that bit longer you will have beautiful well-grown kids.

4. vtfarma

vtfarma Well-Known Member

we have mom fed babies. Our twins were weaned by mom at just over 3 months of age. Both the twins and our 2 week old started nibbling on hay and grain (Mom's stuff) when they were about 7 to 10 days old. Not that they were actually getting much beyond mouthing it but they were copying mom and getting the hang of it. The 2 week old barged past mom yesterday for a little piece of bread I gave to mom. He just mushed a little piece up. He just wanted to be first so to speak.

Got to love these goats. We have the 2 week old and mom in the cellar in a pen. It was 10 below when she went into labor. They go out during the day even when it is really cold and then reappear at the door to come back in. Yesterday they were out for about 2 hours in the sun. The baby, feist, has been coming upstairs every day, a few times a day, he rules the roost. He plays with the dogs and cats, kids and anything else that doesn't run away from him. He goes potty outside now almost exclusively so I don't panic when he jumps on the couch. Sorry off topic. I just love the little critters ya know!

5. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

Everyone does things diffently on bottle babies. When we have new babies we bring ours into the house since bottle feeding. Here we don't dam raise ours.

Our kids are fed bottles 3-4 times a day first few day then we are on two bottles a day until 7 weeks of age. At 7weeks they are cut back to one bottle a day. Then weaned off completely at 8 weeks. Our baby goats are given hay, grain & water free choice by a week of age. We also start feeding them small amounts of Calf Manna. They will start nibble on it at that age. They may not eat alot but will nibble at it. Plus we use Deccox-M prevention for coccidiosis for our bottle babies. :)

Good Luck with your goats. :)

6. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I bottle feed my kids until 3-4 months of age. They begin getting hay at about a week old and developer pellets at about a month old.

7. sleeps723

sleeps723 Well-Known Member

hey thanx yall, lotsa good info.