Babies with week legs.

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Paso, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Paso

Paso Well-Known Member

I need help FAST I have 3 kids that I put on a mother that lost her baby. The kids were bought at auction so I dont know much about them. They were eating well but they are like wet noodles now. I gave them La 200 when I got them and I/2 cc Bo-See but no help.. What can I do!!!! they want to eat but having trouble standing, they just fall down I help them stand to eat. Any help would be Great!!! Thank you all for the help I have recieved in the past for other things.

2. creeklady2000

creeklady2000 Well-Known Member

I have had trouble giving LA200 to animals that small next time go with pennicylin if you want to give the a antibotic you can give them a b 12 shot this will help with appitite and I have seen it do wonders on a babie goat you should beabe to get it at your feed store under the cattle supplies. and do alittle massage on there legs if they cant get up to nurce bottle feed them untill they are stronger they may have jsut had aset back from the LA200 and the stress of the auction the important thing is to keep them eating so they can get stronger, well I hope this helps some

3. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

If they can still suck, milk the mom and put baking soda in the milk and get it down them.If they cant suck the bottle then tube or syringe some into their mouth, they can still swallow.This sounds like floppy kid syndrome.Go to www.cvmb.colostate.edu/dlab/webdocs/ext_vet/cleon8.html for more info.

4. goat hater

goat hater Guest

just shoot the little blighters cos they arent worth the money to fix up

5. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

Ignore post above by guest with obvious title!!
    You need to get food into these little guys get them on a bottle FAST or tube them they will die of starvation. I personally would syring in until they start sucking and I would start off with some molasses water or strong strong coffee to give them a boost. Once you get them stable then try introducing to the doe. They don't have enough strength to nurse now. Give them also a BComplex shot or B12 but you have to get food into them anyway you can or they are surely gone.

6. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

give up on the easy way, take them in the house, and bottle them
    ive done the same thing, with about 60/40 results, sometimes you lose one, sometimes they pull through

get them on the bottle, and keep them warm ,
    2 things happening, 1 already weak kids using up energy needed for growing by trying to keep warm ,
    or floppy kid syndrome,
    either way, best thing in this case is to take them off the surrogate mommy and bottle them
    sorry, but thats what i would do ,
    but then , i believe firmly in bottle feeding all goat babies ( the irony here is im a LLL consultant)

syringe them if you cant get them to take a bottle, but just getting them warm will help them tremendously!!

7. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I also think you need to bring these babies in and bottle them. Help them stand several times a day to strengthen their legs.

8. nappy

nappy Well-Known Member Supporter

Did anyone notice the offensive poster brought up old postings from March '04? We should not post anymore on this thread.

9. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

I reported the poster so the IP hopefully will be blocked by the moderators

10. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I would also bottle feed, and i would give mollasse, or sorgum, in warm water . one tablespoon to one cup water, the n Iwould also put one to two tablespoons of nurti drench for goats, in the water. I would get this down them.
    then I would vit. shot them with complex vit. b, and iron. if you can'tr get them down, have a vet, or some on show you how to tube. because if not done right, it goes in the lungs, and kills. but you can sq it. just put about i cc just under the skin, with a needle, and the body will absorb it. i would drench and do this, and bring them in, sounds like floppy ear , to me, but might be that they didn't get closturm from mom either, could be that. just don't know.
    If they can still suck, put your finger in the mollasses jar, and get a gob, and let the babies suck it off, works in a pinch. good luck,and let us knwo how they do.