Babies, some little, some not so little... (lots of pics)

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Thatch, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Thatch

Thatch Well-Known Member

Well we've got a few babies at the pseudo-homestead, thought I'd share what we've got.

First off are the youngest at about 2 weeks. This will be the last "mutt" litter run for us. All of them from now on will be full and cross Californians... doesn't keep em from being cute though. Sadly it was a rather small litter of only 4, but they are all healthy and doing well.

[​IMG]

Next up is one of our 2 new Cali does. Sitting right at 5 weeks old they are settling in well. Development is good and they are putting on weight well....

[​IMG]

Last but certainly not least is Edgar our new buck. Compared to the others he's a monster. I bought him (along with the does) from a meat breeder an hour away from us who's done a good job on developing his line. Edgar is only 10 weeks old and as you can tell he's not a runt. He's got great fore-shoulder muscling as well as overall development. Couldn't of asked for more in a buck... well, maybe some pigment.... I do hate pink eyed rabbits..... ah well, can't have it all can ya? :)

[​IMG]

Just thought you all might be interested...

J

2. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

Oh, what gorgeous bunnies you have! And that little kit is oh so cute!
    And you have a lovely place. I wish I had that :waa:
    I have not met a single person who likes red eyes. I didn't like them at first, but I don't mind them now. It helps to call them "candy-colored" eyes, or a "Female Touch"

3. CurtisWilliams

CurtisWilliams Well-Known Member

North of Omaha, on the banks of the 'Muddy Mo'
    That's a lot of rabbit. How much does that monster weigh?

4. dlwelch

dlwelch Well-Known Member

5. kisota

kisota Active Member

I was wondering the same thing as dlwelch ask. I raise NZW and the rabbit that the pretty lady is holding (xpndras_zoo) looks like a NZW rather than a Cali. there is no dark fur on him anywhere. I would get back with that Breeder.

Kisota

6. Xandras_Zoo

Yeah, I thought they were New Zealands too...

7. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

I agree ,, She said that was her new 5 wek old cali doe ,, looks nice size for a 5 week old ,,, BUT!!! at 5 weeks there should be grey feet and ears ,, if not black feet and ears ,,, here Cals come in grey when its hot ,,

also said that was a pic of the buck she got at the samt time ,, IF thats not a NEW Zealand buck I'll eat him !! no way is that a Cal and he looks to be bigger/older than 10 weeks ,,,

,,,,, around here at 10 weeks ,, rabbits are Hitting 5 to 6 pounds ,, he looks to be at least 8 + pounds ,, (please weigh that bunny :) ..) either someone is mistaken about age ,,,

or the pretty girl is a lot tinyer than we are thinking and she is making that buck look huge :haha:

Or you found the greatest stock of all time and we all want offspring !! :haha:

That big at 10 weeks!!! :)

8. Thatch

Thatch Well-Known Member

Well, when I contacted the breeder he stated he had Californians and New Zealand Reds. I didn't get to go to his place as it just didn't work out that way and we met half way. He brought the rabbits in very professional tagged and dated cages. I was a bit thrown back when I saw that they were all white but assumed since it was a pink eyed rabbit it was simply a albino Californian (since to my knowledge he didn't raise WNZ). At this point it's still what I'm going on as that is all I've been told. Regardless of the breed I am more than happy with he product and would get more from him in the future. I've got an email off to him asking about exactly what it is that I got.

As for the buck, yes he was 10 weeks old... coming on towards 11 when that pic was taken. I haven't gotten a chance to weigh him. It should be noted though that my wife is a small woman. She's about 5' 4" and as you can see not exactly heavy so she probably adds to the rabbit looking so large... but he is a big one... or should I say "was".

Yes, this discussion to some point is a moot one. Edgar died last night. We had very bad thunderstorms last night and it apparently drove poor Edgar mad... he ripped open the front of his cage, completely wrecking the door (which had two catches) in an effort to get out of his cage .... I found him about 10' away on the ground. Never seen it before but it seems old Edgar was scared to death. It was definitely him that did it .. there was no predator involved. Strange thing is all the other rabbits fared fine. Sadly he didn't. I was really looking forward to seeing Edgar's kits.

J

9. Xandras_Zoo

I am very sorry to hear that :(