babies dying

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by BlessedMom, May 28, 2005.

1. BlessedMom

BlessedMom Well-Known Member

Okay, I have a NZ doe. She is 9 months old.
    She had babies 5/20 - 7 of them. There was one that was born that looked odd, a different color, tiny compared to the rest which were all about the same size.
    It lasted two days and died.
    Yesterday one went off to a corner in the nesting box and died.
    Today, another one died and another one is not looking good.
    What is going on??? We only seem to have 3 healthy ones left!
    We have seen her in there feeding them. The ones that are left look a little icky.
    Should we clean the box up?
    I was really hoping to get a set of 3 for my son's 4H project. If they die, he won't be able to do it since the rules here state that we must own the doe and buck to show the babies.
    Help!

Lori

2. rzrubek

rzrubek Flying Z

What do you mean by "icky". Do you mean covered in excretment or ill looking? I would clean the box out and put fresh straw in. It may be that she is urinating on them. If that is the case you will need to seperate the kits from the doe and only let her in to feed them once or twice a day. Good luck, Randy

3. BlessedMom

Ok, we have only 3 left now out of 7. We cleaned the box and put in new bedding. I have them inside with me now. When should I put them in there? I work during the day so how long should I keep them in there?? I cannot afford to lose these 3 poor bunnies. I was really thinking if they made it through the week they would be much better. At what point will they wean? I need to go read the book I have, I've just been so exasterbated with this doe!!

4. BlessedMom

Ok, new development.
    One of the babies has begun to bleed from it's bottom it seems. He has managed to cover the entire lower half of his body with blood.
    Now that I think about it, I think that the others did this too.
    Any ideas? I cannot find this anywhere.
    Help!

Lori

5. mmurrey

mmurrey Well-Known Member

Hello,
    I am not an expert but, from the things that I read, it sounds like Viral Hemorrhagic Disease(VHD). It causes high fever, lethargy, loss of appetite,spasms,spontaneous bleeding from the mouth or rectum,sudden death. It is caused by a the calici virus. Oral contact from he feces transmits the disease. Again I am not an expert on this cause we are new to rabbits also.This might be something to check onto with a Veterinarian or some professional who knows more about diseases of rabbits. I hope this helps you out.

Mellissa

6. BlessedMom

Well there is not a vet in site this weekend. This does not sound like what we have experience. Thank the Lord! The rabbit stopped bleeding and is alive and well today. They are not lethargic nor do I think they have a fever. The blood was not coming from anywhere but possibly the rectum,dh now thinks that it may have been the umbilical cord scab that made him bleed. It is hard to tell without disturbing them too much.
    The three that are left are very fat and plump. We put them back out there this morning and I wonder how long we should leave them out there with her??
    Should we take them out and put them in again this afternoon?
    None of the rabbit books I have are very helpful!

7. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Well-Known Member Supporter

We have been very fortunate with our bunnies and have not had any diseases, knock on wood, so my experience is limited and I cannot offer any advice on the disease aspect. However, we did pull a couple of nest boxes over the winter and kept them in the house because it was just too cold for the babies outside. We put the boxes in once a day on the first litter, then twice a day on the second. The does hopped usually hopped right into the nest boxes and nursed the bunnies right away, it usually took less than ten minutes each time. We had read that the does only nurse once or twice a day- observations of subsequent litters make us question this, but we are not sure if the does nurse more often or not. But, the bunnies who nursed once or twice a day seemed to do just fine.

8. BlessedMom

Thanks Elizabeth;
    I'll try that. This is the first time we have bred rabbits.
    I'm so nervous that there is so much to learn and that I am really going to mess things up somewhere!!