Babies, babies, and ... more babies?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by CountryGoalie, Nov 22, 2004.

1. CountryGoalie

CountryGoalie Well-Known Member

Like the subject said: babies, babies, and more babies! I went out to the barn to feed this morning to find that two of our does had had their litters!

Our lilac doe Catwalk had seven babies, and it looks like all of them are chocolate magpies. The one's markings are very promising; I can see him on the show table in March already! Our blue doe Sil' also had her litter, but there were only two. I don't blame the litter size on her, however, as her sister recently had a litter of ten, and the buck I bred Sil' to hadn't bred a doe in over a year. Add that to the fact that he's five years old!

Went out to feed tonight and our chocolate doe Jatekos had had two babies, but I know more must be on the way, as she is too large to have been carrying just the two. The odd thing is, the one is white. Not albino - I can already tell that there is pigment to it's eyes, but white! In the six years and many generations of harlequins, I have never had a white rabbit born. As to why this little fellow happened along, is a mystery to me. The father is behind most of my winning rabbits, and has never produced anything like this. The mother is not of my breeding but I've had a litter out of her before, all of them were normal, and her breeder is who got me started in the breed and I've never had a problem with her stock before. AH, the mysteries of rabbit genetics.

Add to all of this the fact that our other bred lilac doe, Accio, was frantically pulling hair like there's no tomorrow! So here I am, keeping my fingers crossed that she'll produce another healthy litter, if not another state convention best of breed winner!

Well, I'm off to check the buns again. :rolleyes:

2. kell

kell Well-Known Member

Don't you just love Harlequins. I have a black magpie with a litter of four that's just the sweetest rabbit ever. What state are you from (I'm looking for more Harlequins) I'm from Oregon. Well, it was nice hearing from another Harlequin breeder.
    KEL

3. CountryGoalie

Yes!

I recently acquired a black magpie junior from Judi Corbett in Ontario while she was on her way to Convention. The most active little thing! And the lilac doe I got from her loves to have her face rubbed. One of my few Harlies who enjoys a scratch between the eyes!

I'm in NY. A bit far, unless you're interested in shipping. :haha: I know that with cold weather it's not the greatest idea in the world, but if you really were that interested in new stock, perhaps in the spring we could put something together. Are there any other breeders out that way who might be interested in some NY stock? Perhaps I could get together with a couple of other area breeders and we could ship to you out there, if we had enough buyers on your end it would probably defray shipping costs for all of you. Just an idea. :)

Oh, and what colors do you raise? I only raise the magpie varieties, but there are quite a few breeders in NY that raise both. I'm always curious to see people who only raise one group or the other.

4. kell

kell Well-Known Member

One of my few Harlies who enjoys a scratch between the eyes!
    All of mine love being scratched there, they always come up to the door of their cage and bite it to get my attention.

I'm in NY. A bit far, unless you're interested in shipping. :)
    Oh, and what colors do you raise? I
    [/QUOTE]

I know of about four people that want harlies on the west coast, they might be willing to chip in. I breed only black magpie Harlequins at this time, but I'm getting different colors in January at the show in Stevens, OR.
    KEL

5. CountryGoalie

Well, do let me know if you talk to them and they're interested, too. I'm planning on doing quite a good number of litters through the winter - of all four magpie varieties - so I'm liable to have a good number of juniors come spring. I recently added some stock from Judi Corbett and Shania Steeves in Canada (Shania took BOB in Youth at Convention) which also have some rabbits from Jamie Reilly in their pedigree (Jamie was top Harlequin Youth for some time), and there are other breeders in NY, too, with varying bloodlines.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!