B- Shot for chilled lamb??????urgent i think!

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by stonewolf, Feb 18, 2005.

1. stonewolf

stonewolf Member

Hello,
    I read much last night about prolapse, etc, that I realized I am in the right place for advice. Thank you all for your advise, you were dead on, and all is well!!

I do believe I read that someone, (perhaps Ross) advised that a chilled lamb can't metabolize food well, and that a shot of B -12 or something like that would help. I have a second day lamb that, after tubing last night and being kept in the warmer, is still not doing well. Mom has little milk, she has a really big twin brother who is getting what there is available and it has been -27 to -31 at night.

I found the baby humped up, shivering and a cold mouth and feet, tubed her 1 1/2, and put her in the warmer for the night. I am not sure I will find life there in the morning. As with the prolapse last night, I am in it for the long haul and hope that SOMEBODY< has some answers. thank you.

In spirit Stonewolf

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Some have trouble especially if you've injected a 30% dextrose solution. I do use a B complex 1/2 cc (if all you have is B 12 it won't hurt to try it!) if they are taking a long time to warm themselves up. Does mum seem like she should have more milk? Did you notice if she passed her after birth? She might benefit from a "milk let down" dose of oxytocin, which you'd really need a vet to prescribe.

3. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

It sounds like you are still giving it to the mamma to raise....if I were you I would keep it inside and raise it yourself...if it survives the night. A first timer last year kept leaving her baby and I kept bringing it inside reviving and thinking doing the right and the easiest thing kept giving it back to her. The last time I bought it in I kept it inside...same thing cold mouth, lathargic. I don't have things like B 12 shots...it just got put near the fire in a box and I fed her goats milk every half hr or so. She's the other lamb running in the house yard with the triplet I raised. I fed her from a bottle with a normal childs teat to start...it's ok to tube but it's the sucking reflex that needs to be "got going"...once they are sucking the teat ok you know they'll be right....good luck.

P.S. This is a different lamb to the ones born last night arent they? Cos I am sure last nights were triplet ewes....are you raising one of them?

4. stonewolf

stonewolf Member

Thanks Ross, Shazza! The lamb got the vit B shot and is now happily resting in the other room. Had about 55 lambs in the last 72 hours, the biggest pop explosion I have seen yet.

This all at between -27 and -35, wind chills to -50, my face is cracking off!! lol

Bringing the lamb in has set off a whole new way of living here, last year I had three in the house for over a month, but this year, I have a kitten that is the craziest cat I have ever seen. He seems to think the lamb is his own little chew toy!! He has taken her down too many times to count. I think he may be jealous!! There has been NO pain or blood involved, but I am getting tired of having to referee!! LOL

Anyways, Ross and Shazza, you have been the beacons in my storm, and I sooooo appreciate you. God Bless.

In Spirit, Stonewolf

5. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

What a lovely thing to say...goose bumpy stuff...I just cannot relate to the extreme temps you have to endure while lambing...I think I'd have all the sheep in side. I am soooo glad she is OK.

Question for Ross...exactly what does the B 12 do? A lot of stuff like Oxytocin we cant get from vets anymore....govt. red tape...which in my opinion puts animals at risk but they dont see it that way. thanks

6. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

B12 (cobalt) is one of the vitamins that boosts metabolism and helps with weight gain. If you have a B12 deficency you'll have skinny sheep and generally poor doers. I generally use B complex for chilled lambs.