B&S 11HP Verticle shaft motor

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Kirk, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Kirk

Kirk Well-Known Member

I salvaged this motor from my FIL's old rider. It ran when he parked it. It sat outside about two years. I installed it on my rider in place of the 12hp which blew its case apart. I have no spark. I moved the coil(? thing with the plug wire) from my old mower and set the gap about the thickness of a sheet of paper. New plug is in. What am I missing?

Kirk

2. kaji1

kaji1 Member

Points or electronic?? Must be the same between motors when interchanging parts. Fly wheel Gap?? Is the "gap you're talking about the gap between the flywheel and the coil?? should be .010 to .014- Plug .015

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

There isn't a ground switch killing the spark is there?

4. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

I think Ross is on the right track. One of the most frustrating things to deal with on riding mowers are the numerous safety switches.

5. gspig

gspig Well-Known Member

If it has points, you ought to check them. Very possible that they are stuck.

6. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Rust (it sat outside about 2 years) will prevent spark if it is not cleaned off of the magnets or the pick up be it points or CDI. Which ignition do you have?

7. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

I have this problems every now and then. cheap fix is take the flywheel off, a 12 hp probably has points and a condenser if its older. get new points and a condenser, make sure everything is dry and try that.

if all you have is a big magneto coil with the spark plug coming out of it, that part with age goes bad, replace it.
    if it ran before, and then it sat, replace all the electronics and cut all the safty switches till you get it running, then hook up one to kill the engine.

id remove the carb and flush it out, and rebuild it.. not hard all a rebuild is is a new float and needles and gaskets, they really give you a headache when they have sat a while.

with a minimum of investment it will run if iut ran before, its just the sitting that got to it.