B-12 Injection

Discussion in 'Goats' started by TSYORK, Oct 9, 2006.

1. TSYORK

TSYORK Jhn Boy ina D Trump world

This is the first time giving my Alpine/Nubian cross a shot, but I need to get a B-12 injection in her. Where do I give it, what part of the body should I inject? I'm using a 3-ml syringe with a 22-guage needle.

2. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

If you're giving it sub-q, I go for the shoulder or back hip area. Also, it tastes gross, but you can give B orally.

Ruth

3. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

OK, I have always given IM, in the hip.

4. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I don't know about that shot, check with your vet. He'll tell ya where it needs to be done. If sub-q you can do it in the armpit area, and if IM give it in the back of the rear leg, in the muscle.

5. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

This information is for 2 sites..

One is from GoatWorld about the Vitamin B12 Wonderful for use on goats who are anemic from worms or stressed from just about any illness. Dosage 1 cc per 100 lbs. Refrigerate.

This next information is from another great site.. Vitamin B12 - Vet prescription. This red liquid is wonderful for use on goats who are anemic from worms or stressed from just about any illness. Administer 1 cc per 100 lbs. body weight. Keeps best long-term if refrigerated.

There is all I can give on that part because I have never used that Vitamin before..

Good Luck on your goat. :)

6. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

I give it sub-Q, over the ribs. IM is more painful and really no reason to give it that way vs. Sub-Q. Vitamin B is not a painful shot, thankfully. :)

7. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

My goats holler and move more when I give Sub-q shots. They don't mind/notice IM shots. Maybe it's just my goats, but I do have 9, and none seem to mind IM but hate sub-Q shots.

8. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know......I just know that 75% of my herd don't notice sub-Q shots and scream at IM shots. Of course it does matter what your injecting as well. They won't notice something like vitamin B, but many will scream bloody muder or jump around if given Vitamin C. :)