Awesome way to strip insulation off battery cables.

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by redgreenbluegil, Oct 27, 2006.

1. redgreenbluegil

redgreenbluegil Well-Known Member

This may be old hat for some people, but this idea came to me while trying to use my knife to scrape the insulation off battery cables to make connections. Use a small tubing cutter (made for copper water lines) that that has the rotary blade and knob and slowly cut through the insulation, and then use pliers to twist off the insulation (I already had one from re-plumbing my house). I went from having to worry about slicing myself with the knife, to having two connections prepped in about 2 minutes.

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

3. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

a cigar liter also works wonders on the insulation and doesnt damage the wires at all and leaves the end a nice tight seal as well most all the time which may or may not help, and it works on all wire sizes. but on my install wires i stayed with my professioal built wire stripper for those folks who would shriek if i puller out my fire maker inside their abode and burnt off a hunk of carcenognic plastic.

William

4. tiogacounty

tiogacounty Well-Known Member

Your on the right track with your wire stripping method. On larger wires I use a tool that cuts a groove similar to a pipe cutter. The important point is to not "Ring" the conductor by putting a groove in the copper. Once you have scored the insulation with your tubing cutter, take a utility knife and make a cut, parallel with to wire, from the groove to the end. Now you can just peel the insulation off. No need to twist it off with a pliers. Good luck.