Awesome label removing trick

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Organizing' started by MNMamaBear, Feb 27, 2014.

1. MNMamaBear

MNMamaBear Well-Known Member

I came across this trick to remove labels from glass jars and bottles & wanted to share. I love saving & reusing store-bought glass bottles & jars but have had such a hard time removing the labels sometimes!

Simply soak your jars in a sink filled with 1/2 cup or so of washing soda & hot water for about an hour or so. I get my washing soda at our local WM, in the same aisle as laundry detergent. The labels will fall right off and your jars & bottles will have no glue residue and come out sparkling clean.

:happy:

2. backwoods

backwoods Well-Known Member

Middle TN, Where the Hilltops Kiss the Sky
    Thanks for posting that! I just spent the past hour trying to get the labels off 2 glass bottles I want to keep! NOW, I know what to do with the other five!

COSunflower, cfuhrer and deedler like this.

3. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

mnmamabear, thanks for the tip!

4. mrs whodunit

mrs whodunit Well-Known Member

I will have to try that. I have always used Goo Gone for label removal

5. Belldandy

Belldandy Well-Known Member

I have the same problem! Could you use a dishpan or big bowl or something to soak the jars in too? If you didn't want to fill the sink?

6. MNMamaBear

MNMamaBear Well-Known Member

I am sure that would work just fine - I didn't really measure out the washing soda, just eyeballed it. If the labels don't slip off cleanly in an hour or so when you lift the jars out of the water, add some more washing soda and let them soak for a bit more.

7. backwoods

backwoods Well-Known Member

Middle TN, Where the Hilltops Kiss the Sky
    I just did this and it worked great on all but two glass jars. I sprinkled a little salt on them and scrubbed lightly with a green pad and it came off. They must've superglued those puppies on there!
    Thanks again!

8. Learner

Learner Member

Great tip! I am always buying stuff at thrift stores and can't ever get the labels off. I'm building a photo wall and picking up lots of picture frames all over- it's so hard to get labels off the glass! Can't wait to try this.

COSunflower likes this.
  9. ezybrizy

ezybrizy Member

Thanks for the tip! I have lots of glass bottles I want to reuse for decor purposes and there's always at least a little glue left from the labels. Now if I can just figure out how to clean mirrors and glass with no streaks left behind!

Discovering My Self🌺

10. tom j

tom j Well-Known Member Supporter

11. tom j

tom j Well-Known Member Supporter

I will have to try this hope this helps get wine labels off bottle like to put my own on but don't worry to much. If the label stays on I just tape a small paper on with the kind of wine on it

12. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

Years ago in my factory days......
    Had to call in a plumbing job...toilet running over in the locker room...

Plumber came out to repair......and pulled about 50 booze and wine bottle labels that were clogging up the tank valve.

Seems a out of the way stash in cold water was just the ticket.....LOL
    I think they got the idea for Michael Corleone having a gun stashed behind the toilet in the Godfather.
    Yup, soaking works.

COSunflower likes this.
  13. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Well-Known Member

I have also found that a hair drier (not a heat gun) can be used to remove lots of labels. Just heat them a little and start to peel the label at one edge. Once you get it started coming up, continue pulling gently on the label while you continue focusing the heat on the line of glue on the under side of the label where the label is coming up.

14. vickinell

vickinell Well-Known Member

I will have to buy some laundry soda. I use orange oil to get labels off most jars I want to keep. I am now saving brown bottles kumbucha comes in to put my homemade kombucha. Thanks

Orange oil is pricey and you can only do one bottle at a time

COSunflower likes this.
  15. emdeengee

emdeengee Well-Known Member

Good tip, thank-you. I get very frustrated with labels. It all depends on the glue they use. Some labels will come right off if you just fill the jar with hot water and let it sit then peel the dry label off. But most require more work.

16. M5farm

M5farm Well-Known Member

simply boiling the jar will remove the label